CHAPTER XXV

The last few days had passed uneventfully. I spent much of my time in the medical wing observing Finn's progress. I usually sat by his bed and read my books aloud to him. If he were awake, I'm sure he would tell me to quit with the dry subject matter- he didn't strike me as a guy too interested in the ins and outs of how the body functions. Every now and then the medic on duty would come in to check him on rounds and we would sit and chat.

My days off were filled at the hanger, helping Poe, Tally and Joseph with different tasks around the ships. I felt like if I kept my hands busy, maybe I could put off Ren being able to contact me again. Nights were particularly difficult. Most of them had been spent in Poe's strong arms, getting to know one another on the most intimate of levels. Once we were finished and Poe had dozed off to sleep, I'd sneak out of bed and go to the office for a few hours to flip through pages of words to fill my mind so Ren's voice couldn't. I'd ease my way back into bed once I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, placing gentle kisses along the commander's broad shoulders.

He had only been upset at me for a second when he found out from BB-8 that I had fainted. It wasn't that I lied to him, I just opted not to share that information with him. I also didn't tell him the real reason why I had passed out since Leia and I agreed to keep it between us for now. It was easy enough to make him forgive me since we were lying in his bed anyway.

Our new relationship status was the subject of almost every conversation I had with people on the base. Even General Organa was quick to give her blessing, fully aware that we had heard her mumble "about time" under her breath as she walked off.

Tash was absolutely giddy with the news. She almost smothered me to death in a big hug when I told her before roughing up Poe's hair and playfully threatening him that she'd kill him if he hurt me in any way. That evening, we had gone to the beach. I should've known better than to be alone with her then since she decided to hit me with an onslaught of questions about how he had asked. When I told her about how he didn't really ask, but more so proclaimed his feelings before our first night together, I thought she was going to faint. She then proceeded to ask for every minute detail of our sex lives.

"Fuck, Si... You two are better than any romance novel... stars, maybe better than any porn..." The blue-haired woman had been fanning her face, fake panting.

I rolled my eyes at her, but couldn't keep the smile off of my face. "Shut up, Tash!"

Unfortunately, I had become too relaxed getting back into my routine.

I left the wing late one night, heading back to my room to change before going to Poe's quarters. I entered and kicked my shoes off, pulling the pen out of my messy bun and throwing it on my desk. The pen hit the metal, and it was as if that sound triggered a build up of pressure in my skull. I hunched forward, seemingly unable to stand straight as the pain kept coming, assaulting my senses. It was obvious to me what was happening, and as Leia had suggested, I wasn't going to fight this time.

Making my way to the bed, I sat on the edge facing the mirror in the corner of the room. I met my own eyes in the reflection, using them as my grounding point and willing myself to stay present. I ground my teeth together to counter the pressure in my head. Suddenly, it was as if a dam broke inside of my mind. My head physically jerked as I felt another presence.

"You're a quick study, Dr. Dreis," the low voice echoed throughout my head. It ran a chill up my spine.

"It's rude to show up unannounced, Ren." I tried to even out my breathing, not wanting to let my emotions get the best of me in this situation. I could hear his deep, short laugh.

"And a smart mouth as well. You and that pilot are equally obnoxious."

I would've rolled my eyes if I wasn't needing my own stare to hold my grip on reality. "What do you want?"