CHAPTER XVI

I woke up early, refreshed from a night with a dreamless sleep. It was still dark out when I exited my room and made my way to the canteen to grab a hot tea. The base was quiet, still too early for everyone to be at their posts. After grabbing my cup, I made my way towards the window looking at the hangar. On the far side there was a light by one of the fighters, and I could faintly make out the red flashing light of a BB-8 unit darting around the base of the ship which brought a smile to my lips. I took a sip of my drink, relishing in the warmth. Looking into the window again, I saw the reflection of someone standing behind me, immediately recognizing the silhouette.

"Commander. Shouldn't you be in the hangar preparing your ship?" I asked quietly. A flash of surprise crossed his features before looking down and chuckling. Looking up, he slowly walked up behind me with a sideways grin.

I turned to face him, still wondering how someone could make a tan shirt and leather jacket look that good. "Good morning to you too, doc. How did you sleep?" He said as he stopped in front of me. I knew he was still concerned about my state of sleeping after witnessing the aftermath of my last nightmare.

I took another sip of my tea before smiling up at him. "Good morning, Poe. I slept very well, thank you. Ready to head out?"

"Sure am. BB-8 is making some last minute adjustments and we are good to go. Should be ready in the next 20 minutes or so."

"Hmm, that's good. Let's walk down there. I want to say bye to my buddy." I reached up and looped my arm through his as we made our way to the ship. The sun was just coming up, creating a dull blue light over the trees on the outskirts. BB-8 was rolling forward and back by the X-wing, beeping a random tune as he looked around. When he spotted us, his excited tune rang throughout the hangar and he rolled over to us. I laughed and kneeled down to his level, placing my hand on the side of the big orb.

"Shhh, BB-8 you're going to wake the whole base up! But yes, I'm excited to see you too." Poe made his way over to the ship as I spoke with the droid. "I need you both to take care of each other out there, okay?" He beeped his promise to me before heading back to his owner.

As I stood up, I heard soft footsteps coming behind me. I looked over my shoulder, surprised to see the General. Leia gave me a smile as she approached. "Sienna, coming to see your date off?" I wasn't sure how to respond to that and I'm sure I looked like a fish out of water, causing her quiet laugh to float through the air. "Poe told me yesterday that he was taking you out. He was pulling out all of the stops to impress you."

I flushed slightly at the General's words. "He sure did." I looked over in the pilot's direction, who was talking with BB-8 while looking at the engines. "Leia..." I turned back to the woman. "What is their mission, exactly?"

The General let out a long sigh before looking at me with a tight-lipped smile. "This mission is... closely guarded, however my trust in you has always been instinctual, so I will share it. I'm sure Commander Dameron would like you to be in the know as well." She glanced over at the pair before turning back to me, facing me completely.

"I believe there is a map on Jakku that will lead us to Luke Skywalker. Poe is to meet with Lor San Tekka, who has always been a supporter of the Jedis and their mission. He has been on Jakku for some time. Once we obtain the map, I believe that we can find Luke and he will help us defeat the First Order once and for all."

My eyes were wide as I looked at the wise woman. "So you believe that Luke is still out there?"

"I have no doubt. He still harbors the force, and I would feel if he were gone."

"General!"

We both turned as Poe jogged over to us, running a hand through his hair. Behind him I could see BB-8 being brought up into his deck. "We are set to go. If we leave now, it would put us on Jakku a few hours before nightfall and give us time to..." He trailed off as he glanced in my direction, obviously concerned with giving up any information he shouldn't.