Chapter 7

Luke drove us in his nice red convertible to a fancy looking restaurant in Wethercross. He opened my car door for me when I got in and out, but he didn't hold my hand when we walked.

What is our relationship status? I wondered as we walked from the parking garage towards our destination. I had said 'let's go out,' but what did that really mean? Was he my boyfriend? Or just 'someone I'm seeing'?

We finally arrived at the door to the restaurant, and once again Luke opened that door for me and I thanked him. Even though we were half an hour late, the restaurant still had our reservation for us. Luke pulled out my chair for me and we finally sat down at the white-tableclothed table.

"So, what was your meeting about?" I asked him after we'd ordered our drinks. We'd already gone through the pleasantries of 'how was your day' and 'oh it's getting cold and dark now.'

"Well, I'll tell you if you don't tell any of the other servants."

I rose an eyebrow. "I'm intrigued. Consider my lips sealed."

He smiled. "I was in a meeting with Lucille, Missus Alexandria, Queen Klara, and Prince Coleman."

"Really?"

"Yes. Aunt Lucille requested the meeting after talking to Queen Klara earlier today. Apparently, your conversation yesterday with her sparked some concern."

"My conversation?"

"Yes. Lucille isn't happy about how the servants have been acting lately, and Queen Klara's hasn't been pleased either. As the King's servants, we all are supposed to be the best, but many servants lack decorum and professionality."

My first thought was that that sounded a lot like me but I chose not to say anything on the matter.

"See, Queen Klara many years back or so claimed her preference for good-looking servants."

I guffawed. "Are you serious? Is that why everyone is so attractive at that castle?"

Luke laughed. "I guess the Queen thought that good looks would reflect well on the royal palace, I don't know. Anyways, long story short, they are scrapping that unofficial stipulation and Lucille and Klara are 'cleaning house'."

My eyes widened, and at that moment our waiter came with our drinks and we ordered food.

"Wait, back to what you were saying," I said. "So are they going to fire people?"

Luke nodded solemnly. "Yes. The Queen expects to get rid of more than half of the servants."

"Half?!"

"Yes. She wants new staff implemented by the New Year. Beginning next week we are going to start looking for new employees."

My jaw dropped. "Wow. That's crazy!"

"I know, I can hardly believe it."

Suddenly, I felt very anxious. Because if there was one servant who lacked proper decorum and respect, it was Cassie Carmichael.

"Luke, when will we know if we are being fired or not?"

"Probably not for a little while," Luke said. "We still need to go through who should leave and who should stay."

"Oh."

"Cassie."

"Hmm?"

"Don't worry," Luke said. "You're not going anywhere."

"Luke," I started. "I mean, you've been around me and Prince Coleman. You've seen the way I talk to him and the way I act. If anyone deserves to be fired, it's me."