Chapter 70

The next day was Christmas Eve, and I honestly couldn't wait for Christmas Day. The royal family would be off to Queen Klara's mom's place for the holiday, and Luke and I could spend Christmas together with no interruptions. The royal family was spending quality time with King Dieter on Christmas Eve, and I had already opted out of the big extended family dinner that night so Luke and I could spend most of Christmas Eve together.

However, an hour or so before dinner, Missus Alexandria showed up at my room where Luke and I were hanging out while he practiced songs on the guitar and told me that I was needed in one of the drawing rooms.

"I'll be back," I told Luke, smiling. I followed Alexandria downstairs to the room in question where Calista sat next to a large Christmas tree holding a small gold-wrapped present in her lap. Coleman was off to the side of the room in an armchair next to his Grandfather, and Queen Klara sat with her husband at the other end of the room.

"Hi Cassie!" Calista said, standing up eagerly. She walked over and presented the small package. "This is your Christmas gift from me!"

"Really?" I asked. "Wow, thank you!" Crap, I thought. Why didn't I buy her a gift? I must be the worst lady-in-waiting ever. "I was going to give you yours when I see you again on the 26th, if that's okay," I said. Great. I can go buy her something today maybe, or on the morning of the 26th.

"Sounds good," she said. "Assuming you actually bought a gift."

My eyes widened before I smiled awkwardly. "Of course I did."

"You're a bad liar," she rose an eyebrow. "But I didn't think you'd get me anything. You're poor, anyways."

I scratched the back of my neck.

"Well?" she asked. "Aren't you going to open it?"

"Okay!" I said, walking over to take a seat next the wall while she plopped down in the seat next to me. I carefully picked at the beautifully wrapped present, and to my shock I unwrapped the latest smartphone modem. "Oh my gosh!" I squealed, jumping up excitedly despite that fact that scary King Collin was in the room. "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" I turned to Calista, my eyes wide. "Calista!" I cried. "This is incredible!"

"Well I was tired of seeing you carrying around that old dilapidated phone of yours," she shrugged, but she couldn't properly conceal the smile on her face.

"I can't believe it!" I cried, pulling her into a hug. "This is seriously such a great gift!" Looking past her as I hugged her, I saw Prince Coleman watching me with a grin on his face.

"Oh, well," Calista said, feigning disinterest. "I'm glad you like it, I suppose."

I clasped my hands on her shoulders. "Like it? It's fantastic, Calista. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful."

The next morning, I woke up to someone poking my cheek, and after barely managing to pry my eyelids open to see what inconsiderate person was interrupting my slumber, I found Luke's smiling face gazing down on me

"Merry Christmas, Cass," he said as I was drowsily opening my eyes. He placed a quick peck on my lips, which I was sure must have been an awful experience due to my morning breath. My eyes felt so freaking tired, and I was trying not to be super annoyed with Luke for disturbing my glorious sleep. I didn't care that it was stupid Christmas—what were we, five? There weren't stockings to rush to open nor presents under the tree just itching to be ripped into. Even if there were, the presents would be there in four hours when I woke up.

"Merry Christmas," I gargled, trying to keep my eyes open.

"Aw, you look tired," he crooned.

Yeah, I thought. So go away.

"I'll let you sleep longer then," he chuckled. "Besides, we have the whole day anyways. No royal family!"

I pulled the covers over my head. "Goodnight!" my muffled voice called out.

Luke laughed. "Goodnight cute girl. Text me when you wake up."

I managed to get in another hour of sleep, but I woke up sooner than I would have liked. I figured I would text Luke after I used the bathroom and brushed my teeth; however, as I was finishing that task, to my surprise, I saw an incoming call from Prince Nikolas on my cellphone. This was the first time he had called me, excluding the times that he was returning my own phone calls.

"Hi, Nikolas!" I said cheerfully as I answered the phone.

"Hello Cassie," he said. "I wanted to call to wish you a Merry Christmas."

"Thank you!" I said. "Merry Christmas to you to! Oh, how would you say 'Merry Christmas' in Russian?"

"S Rozhdevstvom," he answered.

"See rozdedom," I said back.

He chuckled.

"Hey!" I cried. "No need to make fun of me, alright? Can you say it again?"

"S Rozhdevstvom."

I tried to repeat what he said again.

"That's a little better," he told me.

"I'll keep working on it," I sighed.

"How has your Christmas morning been?" Nikolas asked me.

"Oh, good," I said. "I'm just a bit tired. But how about you? How's Christmas so far?"

"Very good," he told me. "Christmas is my favorite holiday. Of course, there is a lot of fun associated with it, but for me it also is a time to reflect on Jesus Christ's birth. I went to Mass last night, and my father even managed to come."

"Did he?" I asked. "How is he doing?"

Nikolas sighed. "Not well, I'm afraid. I've been assuring that the cooks will create all his favorite dishes for Christmas dinner, and I've been trying to do all his favorite traditions that he can still do because..." his voice drifted off.

It's probably his last Christmas, I thought sadly.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"It is not your fault."

"I know," I said. "But I'm sorry that you have to face such sadness. I don't even know what I would do if it was my own dad."

"Are you close with your father?" he asked.

"I am," I said. "I remember you said you were very close with your father?"

"Yes," he told me. "But, I do find peace in this Christmas season. I find solace in Jesus Christ, and I know that he cares for me and my father. When he does leave this earth, he will be in good hands."

"He will be," I said. I was never a very religious person myself, but I certainly didn't oppose religion nor find harm in it. Maybe I should look into religion more—quite literally God knows that I'm a train wreck and could use some guidance.

"How is Durmanhein?" Nikolas asked.

"It's great. Actually, Luke and I talked things out last night and we're all good now."

The phone went silent.