Chapter 51

At lunch, Charlie sat next to me. I realized that I would miss our lunch chats we had, and I would miss hearing him talk about the gossip in that funny little accent of his. Charlie had always made me feel a bit more at home; I guessed it was because he was Calvin's age and he reminded me of my brother in certain ways. He'd also befriended me from the start and was too young to be butthurt about Prince Coleman rumors. Of course, he was at the forefront of talking about the apparent Cassie-Coleman-Lucas love triangle, but there was no malice when he spoke of it. He only talked about it because he found it interesting, and for that I could hardly blame him.

"Charlie," I began, looking at him quite somberly.

"Yes, Cassie? What's wrong?"

"I just," I sighed. "I want to tell you a secret."

His eyes sparkled. "A secret?" he asked, showing his gap-toothed grin.

"Yes," I said. "Though, it won't be a secret for long."

"What is it?" he asked.

"You won't tell? Until the secret is out?"

Charlie scrunched up his face. "How long do I have to keep it secret for?"

"Until the end of the week."

He released a sigh of relief. "I should be able to manage that," he said. "So, what is it then?"

"Queen Klara has asked me to be one of Princess Calista's new ladies-in-waiting."

"A lady-in-waiting?" Charlie gasped. "Wow...that's, that's really something." He paused for a moment. "What does that mean, exactly?"

I laughed, and I ruffled Charlie's dirty hair. "Hey!" he cried.

"I didn't know what it meant either," I said. I gave him a brief explanation of what the title entailed, and he looked quite surprised.

"That sounds very fancy!" he said.

"I know," I responded. "But, the sad part is, I won't be coming down here for meals anymore starting next week."

"Oh." Charlie slumped somewhat. "You won't?"

I shook my head. "But, you know, I'll still be here at the castle. That just means I'll have to come out to the grounds more often."

A grin split his face. "Really?" he asked. "It is getting cold, you know? It's almost December, after all. Soon our jobs will merely consist of shoveling snow."

"Good thing I like snow, then."

When I returned from lunch carrying Prince Coleman's own food, both he and Luke stared at me with wide eyes as I entered the room

"Is it true?" asked Coleman.

"Is what true?" I asked.

"Did Queen Klara ask you to be Calista's lady-in-waiting?" Luke interjected.

I smiled awkwardly. I had been planning on telling Luke later tonight in a softer sort of way, but apparently not. "She did," I started. "And um, well, I accepted. So, I guess the good news is that I'll be sticking around!"

Coleman seemed pleased that I would be staying, and Luke didn't say much

Coleman seemed pleased that I would be staying, and Luke didn't say much. Later that night, he merely told me that he was glad that I'd still be in the castle with him before we watched our movie.

Friday, my last day as Prince Coleman's maid, was all-in-all rather uneventful, since I was still going to be in the same building. On Sunday, I packed up my belongings in my suitcase and moved my things up several floors to my new room—a golden, gorgeous room several times the size of my old one with a large plush bed, a big walk in closet, a nice mahogany desk, a table with plush chairs, a sofa, a nice bathroom, and a terrace. The design department, which handled the servant uniforms, mended the clothing of the royals, and even designed many of their pieces, had already gotten a couple of new dresses for me, one red and another green—colors that were not apart of my Nikotan clothing selection. That Sunday evening, the night before I would officially begin as a lady-in-waiting, Prince Duarte stopped by my new fancy room.

"Hi, Duarte!" I said as I opened the door, having already changed into my pajamas. "You're welcome to come in."

"Thank you, Cassie," he said, coming in and taking a seat on a plush chair adjacent to my sofa. I sat down on the couch and smiled at him.

"What brings you here?" I asked.

"I came to congratulate you on being a lady-in-waiting."

"Thank you," I said. "I'm very fortunate to be here, I know."

"Yes, but I'm sure Calista is quite fortunate to have you as well."

I scratched the back of my neck. "I don't know," I admitted. "She and I kind of got off on the wrong foot. I don't know if she likes me. I mean, me becoming her lady-in-waiting, I'm pretty sure that's all her mother's doing."

"Perhaps," Duarte tilted his head. "But I'm sure Calista will warm up to you."

I looked into his bright little eyes. "Duarte," I started. "What exactly is your aunt up to, anyways?"

"Up to?" He blinked innocently. "Whatever do you mean?"

"I mean why is she doing stuff like this? Why did she make me Queen Maiden and now a lady-in-waiting?"

Duarte merely smiled. "Perhaps she just likes you."

"I don't think so," I said. "I rather like Queen Klara, to tell the truth. I find her clever and interesting and I'd say we get along, but I don't think that that alone is enough to convince her to do all these nice things for me."

Duarte held his smile. "Who knows?"

"I think you know something. You're a smart little cookie, aren't you?"

"Me?" he asked.  "Why, I'm just a little boy!"

"Oh please," I snorted, and he chuckled.

"I'd best be off, then."

"Wait!" I said. "What about the Queen?"

He tilted his head. "I honestly don't truly know what Aunt Klara has planned. I have guesses, to be sure, but nothing confirmed. But, for now, I must bid you adieu."