Chapter 77

I was not so dense as to miss Queen Klara's thinly veiled threat, and it echoed throughout my mind the next day as I walked through the palace on my way to the airport. I wondered if I should tell Prince Nikolas everything that had happened concerning Princess Esmerelda and how Queen Klara brought me in just to say in a very dramatic way that I shouldn't try any funny business with him, though the very idea was laughable. Prince Nikolas was going to marry a princess anyways.

I walked through the main hall of the palace rolling my large suitcase when I heard footsteps behind me. I glanced back to see Prince Coleman wearing a red sweater and a smile.

"Cassie," he nodded, stepping right up to me.

"Come to see me off, then?" I asked, returning a friendly smile.

He had his hands in his pockets, and he leaned into them. "I suppose," he admitted. "Truthfully, I feel quite sorry for you."

"You feel sorry for me?" I rose an eyebrow.

"Nikoto's a miserable place this time of year. It snows like crazy."

"I like snow," I told him.

He shrugged. "I think you'll find it to be a very cold sort of place in general. But fear not!" he put his large, warm hand on my shoulder. "You only have to endure for two weeks. Then I shall be there to save you, darling."

A small chuckle escaped me as I brushed his hand off my shoulder. "You're quite the knight in shining armor."

He grinned. "Part of my princely duties, of course, saving damsels in distress from monsters."

I looked him in the eyes. "Nikolas is hardly a monster."

"Well you have yet to spend two weeks with the man, though knowing him, he most likely will be swept away in meetings and such, so maybe you'll be fortunate enough as to avoid spending too much time with him."

"I hope that's not the case," I answered.

"Cassie?" he raised an eyebrow, and a Cheshire grin split his face. "Don't tell me you have a crush on him!"

I rolled my eyes. "It's called friendship, Coleman. Some of us are capable of interacting with members of the opposite sex without something more going on."

"Sure, but then again, wasn't Lucas your pal at first? You're hardly the leading expert on such matters."

"What do you want me to say?" I batted my lashes. "Shall I declare my undying love for my sweet Prince Nikolas?"

He folded his arms. "That's disgusting," he said. "Besides, Mama would be quite upset."

"Oh I'm sure she would!" I laughed. "Well, thanks for seeing me off, I guess. I'd better get going."

"Wait," Coleman said. "First, give me your phone."

"Excuse me?" I asked. "It's my phone. I'll need it while I'm in Nikoto!"

He clucked his tongue. "Relax," he chided, pulling out his phone. "If you're going to be so finicky, then you can put your number into my phone." He held it out for me to take.

"My phone number?" I asked him, tentatively taking the phone.

"No, your social security," he deadpanned.

As I put in my contact information, I asked him why he wanted my number.

"It's not that I need your number, but I was trying to give you mine," he said, swiping the phone back from me. A few keystrokes and I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. "There," he told me. "I've texted you. That way, you can call me if Nikky's bothering you."