Chapter 33

And now the snake had successfully snarled around my throat, choking my words.

"I don't remember," I lied.

"I don't believe you," Mercucio pushed.

"I think I had a stomach ache or something."

"Then why was Coleman so frustrated the whole day?"

"I don't know. Maybe he was mad that I didn't pack up the tent."

"My servants did that for him."

"Then, he had to carry the equipment?"

"No, it certainly wasn't that."

"How am I supposed to know why he was upset?" I cried.

"Why did you leave early, Cassie?" Mercucio pressed.

"I—it was, it was complicated. If you have to know, my relationship with Prince Coleman is very complicated, alright?" I blurted out. "And—and I don't need things to be more complicated now. All that matters now is that I don't mean anything to him, understand? I'm dating someone else now and I really like him and that's what matters. So whatever may or may not have passed between Coleman and I in the past—it's over."

Mercucio didn't respond for a second. "Alright," he said, sounding intrigued. "Sorry to be so pushy, but I've been trying to figure you two out for some time now."

I scowled. "Why don't you go harass Coleman about it then."

"Oh trust me," Mercucio said, and I could hear his Cheshire grin. "I will."

"Wait," I started. "I didn't actually mean for you to—"

"By the way," he interrupted. "I liked your latest Instagram photo." And with that, he hung up the phone.

I tried to call Mercucio back, but he didn't answer. I didn't need him poking and prodding Coleman.

Whatever, I thought, turning to my side. It doesn't matter anyways.

Late that night, Madeline texted me that her date went very well, and she'd give me more details the next time she saw me