Chapter 18

When I emerged from the water, I saw Mercucio welcoming a now shirtless Prince Coleman to the party with an embrace. Immediately, two attractive women in swimsuits far nicer than mine stepped up to Coleman, all smiles and giggles. In spite of myself, I rested my arms and chin on the pool edge and watched the scene play out—maybe I was just a glutton for punishment, which was probably a good thing for when I inevitably ended up in hell for paying any sort of notice to Coleman when I had a boyfriend.

I could just catch bits of the conversation. One girl reached up and ruffled Coleman's hair and giggled ostentatiously. 

"I love...haircut," I heard her say.

Coleman smiled and ran his hand through his hair. "Like it?"

"...great!" The other girl piped in, resting her hand on his chest. "Why...cut it?"

BECAUSE I TOLD HIM HE SHOULD! I thought bitterly.

"My mother...should...why not?" I heard from his response.

You freaking liar, I thought irritably. I watched him walk away towards the other end of the building with those two thirsty girl in tow. More women approached him as he walked, and I could tell that he just loved soaking up all that attention.

I knew it shouldn't have bothered me. I had Luke, after all, but Luke wasn't here, was he? Because if Luke was here, then I could have been hanging out with my beautiful BOYFRIEND and Coleman wouldn't have the satisfaction of thinking that I was still pining away after him. I had MOVED ON, and Coleman didn't even know it! No, instead he was the one who got to flaunt how over it he was first, which was grossly unfair, especially since I was the one who was rejected! Shouldn't it have been some karma-universal right thing that I should have proven that I'd moved on first?

'Let's keep it a secret!' No, how about we freaking don't do that, Luke?

I buried myself underwater and let out a frustrated scream before reemerging for air. Was I being totally unreasonable?

No, I'm not being ridiculous, I thought. And I'm not a bad girlfriend! I mean, if Marstella was around us, I would want Luke to show off that he has moved on from her and is dating someone new—ME. I wouldn't blame him one bit if a part of him wants to prove that he's moved on! It's only human!

I felt an angry burn in my chest, and to blow off steam I started swimming to the other end of the pool.

Of course Coleman didn't want me hanging around, I thought. That way he can go schmooze a bunch of girls. Wasn't one of those tabloid articles about Coleman making out with multiple people at a François pool party? That idiot. How could I have ever liked a sleeze ball like him? He's such a player! At least I was never as desperate as most of these women. Sure, I admitted to him that I liked him which was clearly a horrible mistake but at least he said he liked me back before rejecting me. I guess that's something.

But no! He still rejected me and made a fool out of me. Ugh, I hate his guts. Why can't Luke be here? I want to hang out with him, but no. The only person I know at this freaking party is Prince Coleman and he's off being his classic womanizer self. I mean, what did I expect from him? That he would change? Ha! That was a stupid thought!

I finally stopped swimming and took a breather.

"I'd have thought you'd be used to it," a familiar voice said.

I whipped my head to the side to find—to my horror—Marstella Allegro next to me in the pool, wearing a cute one-shoulder jade swimsuit with her red hair tied up in a bun.