Chapter 71

"Hello?" I asked. "Are you there?"

A sigh. "I am still here. I just do not understand why you are still with that man."

I explained to Nikolas our conclusion that real relationships take work and sometimes we'll fight but that's okay. However, he didn't seem particularly impressed.

"It is true that relationships will not always be easy and light, but you should still be in that happy fun phase, and yet you've already had multiple fights. You have only been dating for two months."

"Two and a half months!" I argued.

"A short enough time that you have to count the half months."

Well, he got me there.

"Yes, relationships take time and effort, but sometimes two people just are not made for each other," he continued. "Maybe Luke is too different from you?"

"I don't know," I shrugged.

He sighed. "I am sorry. I know that it seems like I harp on you because of Luke, but know that I do it with your best interest at heart."

I smiled lightly. "I know," I said. "You've always had my back, Nikolas. Even when I went psycho on Marstella."

He laughed. "Oh, I found that very enjoyable!"

Christmas Day with Luke passed, as did theremaining two days of our trip in Durmanhein.

With the New Year around the corner, I was hoping that I could put all the drama behind me. I was glad that the New Year would start off with a bang, at least, as both Luke and I would be at the Rylin party. Of course, we'd be there in different capacities, but I was still excited nonetheless. The day of, Luke and I left early for the party since he needed to be there when guests arrived, and I figured I'd see what I could help with. I wore a white high-collared long-sleeved cocktail dress that had come in Prince Nikolas's clothing package paired with gold pumps that I had bought with Madeline one weekend and a matching clutch that held my brand new phone.

It had been surprisingly nostalgic to go through my old phone and to move pictures from there onto my computer and some onto my new phone. There were dozens of pictures of Luke and I, though one of the first ones was when we were at the Autumn Festival and he wore his gold leafy crown. I had liked that picture so much that I made it my new home screen photo. There was also a picture of Prince Coleman on top of Mount Laykard with a straight-faced expression, and if the Autumn Festival felt forever ago then that might as well have been another lifetime. That photo had been taken shortly before I brought up that we had a mutual attraction, where he brushed it off as nonsense.

As Luke and I approached the Rylin mansion, we were directed to servant's parking before we got out and Luke grabbed his guitar.

"You look good, babe," I said, latching onto his arm. Underneath his coat, he wore a white button-down shirt with the top button undone and no tie, and his sleeves were rolled neatly up to his elbows.

"You too," he smiled, leaning down for a quick kiss. We entered in through a side door that Luke had apparently been instructed to enter through—I'd never been in this side of the Rylin mansion, but it was clearly the servant's side of things.

"Alright," a middle aged woman wearing a black vest over a white dress shirt stepped up to us. "You're one of the musicians, then?" she eyed Luke's guitar.

"I am," he answered, starting to shrug off his coat. "I'm Lucas Prescott."

"Perfect," she said. "I'll take you to the lockers to store your coat and then upstairs to show you where you need to set up." She then looked at me. "And you?"

"Oh, I'm actually a guest but I rode with him. I'm Cassie Carmichael."

The woman rose her eyebrows. "Oh, yes! Of course ma'am, I apologize that I didn't recognize you earlier. Might I take your coat?"

"Oh, sure," I said. "And if it's alright, I'll head up with you? Madeline knows I'm coming early."

"Yes, yes of course," the woman bowed. I smiled at Luke a bit sheepishly. The three of us soon headed upstairs and the servant lady took us to one of the big rooms in the house where a short stage had been set up. While she was giving Luke some instructions, I saw Madeline come into the room wearing a gorgeous long red sheath dress with no sleeves. Her hair was pulled back in a pretty updo to show off a long pair of dangling diamond earring. Her red lips pulled into a smile when she saw me.

"Cassie," she said as she approached me, carrying an iPad in her hands. "I didn't know you were here yet."

"Oh, well I rode with Luke so we came in through the servant's entrance."

"The servant's entrance?" her nostrils flared. "Please tell me you at least didn't walk from servant's parking?"

"Um, it honestly was fine..."

She shook her head exasperatedly. "Someone's getting fired. They're idiots, all of them."

"It wasn't a big deal!" I said quickly. "I didn't tell them who I was or anything, Luke just said that he was one of the musicians."

"Still," she clicked her tongue.

"I'd feel a lot worse if you fired someone," I said. "After all, I used to be one of them."

"Oh don't remind me." She then smiled. "But, we're on to better things now. Even if you are still dating Coleman's butler."

"We actually had a breakthrough recently," I told her.

"Breakup or breakthrough?" She asked hopefully.

I blinked very slowly. "We are still together."

She rolled her eyes. "Of course you are. But seriously, just let me know when you finally dump him alright?"

Geez, I thought. She's this hostile towards him and she doesn't even know the half of it.

Madeline then invited me to follow her along as she worked to make sure everything was in order for the party, which was looking like it would be spectacular, what which the gorgeous setting and the seemingly endless amounts of hors d'oeuvres. I also met her parents, the Count and Countess Rylin, who were also quite blonde and seemed a bit leery of me. I avoided making a Count Dracula joke as I was sure that wouldn't help. The party started at 9:00 PM, and soon people were filtering in to the Rylin mansion. I decided to camp out in the room where Luke would be playing; I found myself a nice spot on one of the sofas, and watched blissfully as Luke played music. I loved watching him come to life and seeing the easy look on his face. He had been told that it wasn't a concert and he would just be singing or playing in the background, but many people did turn to watch him and his melodic voice fill the room.

"Cassie C!" a merry voice said before its owner plopped down next to me.

I turned and grinned. "Romeo, was it?"