Chapter 24

That evening, I told Luke about how I let it slip that I had a boyfriend, but emphasized that I did so so that people wouldn't get the wrong idea and would know I wasn't a free woman. I think he was secretly a little happy, especially since Coleman didn't know that said boyfriend was him.

On Monday when I entered the dining hall for breakfast, there seemed to be something buzzing in the air. I grabbed my food and sat down next to Sherry, who excitedly grasped my arm.

"Cassie!" she said, her eyes wide. "Have you heard?"

"Heard what?" I asked.

"Apparently, Mindy and Gregory discovered that Missus Lucille is interviewing new people for hire," Sherry said anxiously.

"She is?" I asked, playing somewhat dumb.

"Yes!" Sherry said.

"Maybe she needs to fill a position," I shrugged.

"But all the positions are full already," Sherry said excitedly.

"It's true," another servant by us piped in. "And she is interviewing a lot of people."

"Maybe she just wants to get the right person for whatever job it is?" I suggested. "I mean, aren't the standards here supposed to be high?" Of course, I immediately thought of Lord Mercucio's pristine staff and determined that question to be an absolute joke.

"I don't think so," another person near us said. "I'm worried—are they going to fire some people?"

I listened to speculation about the state of our jobs for all of breakfast until I got up to clear my  plate by the kitchen. After I set my dishes in the trough, I heard an unexpected voice call out, "Cassie!"

I whipped around to find none other than Lord Mercucio himself walking towards me with many pairs of eyes turned to watch him.

"Mercucio...hi. What are you doing here?" I asked as he approached me.

"I'm here with Mr. Johnson," he informed me, pointing out a middle-aged man in a blue button up shirt surveying the room carefully. "He's our chief of staff."

"Why is your chief of staff here?" I questioned.

Mercucio then eyed me up and down and smirked. "Cute little number you've got on there. Is that French?"

My face screwed up irritably. "It's my uniform, alright? And besides, it's not immodest or anything, so I'm not playing the slutty maid role if that's what you're thinking! Look." I lifted the sides of my skirt to show off its length. "The skirt is even at the knees!"

"Alright, alright," Mercucio chuckled. "We just have more updated uniforms at the François Household." He looked around the room and whistled. "But boy, this sure is a room full of lookers."

I rolled my eyes, though he wasn't wrong.

"Are you headed to Coleman's room?" Merc asked.

"I am."

"I'll walk with you while Mr. Johnson assesses or whatever."

Merc and I left the dining hall and began making our way to Coleman's room.

"So why exactly are you here again?" I asked.

"Well, Queen Klara's not happy with her staff, and since we have some of the best staff in the country, she asked me and our chief of staff to come and advise on the situation. She asked me because this whole situation is certainly beneath the Marquis François, or as I like to call him, 'Dad.' Besides, I always enjoy a visit. And I get to see you in your natural habitat."