Chapter 8

The next morning at breakfast, I seated myself next to Charlie who had a plate piled with food. I myself just have a piece of toast and some eggs.

"Hello Charlie!" I chirped.

"Hello yourself, Cassie. Did you have a good weekend?"

I smiled brightly. "In fact, I did. I went on a date."

"Really?" Charlie rose an eyebrow. "With whom?"

"I went to dinner with Luke," I said.

"Luke? As is in Mister Lucas?" he asked before eating a bite of eggs.

"Yep." I took a bite of my toast. "He and I went to a nice restaurant in Wethercross on Saturday night."

"And?"

"And what?"

"Did you have a good time?" Charlie asked me as he poked at his food. "Are you two officially courting?"

"I had a very nice time," I started. "But as for your second question, I don't know!"

"You don't know?"

"I mean, we're definitely a thing," I said.

"Well that's specific."

I rolled my eyes. "I just don't know if we're exclusively dating or whatnot."

"Would you be fine if you found out Luke was also dating Raven?" Charlie asked me.

I cringed. "No! But I mean, Raven is also...Raven. She's the worst."

"Then what about Sherry?"

"No!" I said. "No, I wouldn't like it if he were dating other people."

"Do you think he'd like it if you were dating other people?" Charlie asked me.

"No," I said. "I'm pretty sure he wouldn't."

"Then there you have it! Problem solved!" Charlie beamed.

"Problem not solved," I corrected him as I took another bite of food. "I mean, neither of us have communicated this 'I don't want you to date other people' thing, mind you. Furthermore, isn't there a difference between being exclusive and being boyfriend and girlfriend? I just want to know what we are exactly."

"One date and you're already reading this much into things?" Charlie said. "Tsk tsk."

"Whoa, this is like our third date, okay?" I said, raising my hands defensively. "Remember we went to Sky Land?"

"I thought that wasn't an official date."

I said nothing for two seconds. "Okay, well it may not have been 'official' but it basically counts. And then we went to the Festival together two Tuesdays ago. And we held hands. And then we just went on a date and we held hands again! Plus we both like each other! And we eat meals together when we can!"

"Has he kissed you?" Charlie asked me, leaning forward slyly.

"No," I grimaced. "But I don't know if he's just shy or if he thinks that I don't want to kiss him. See, I told him before I didn't want to rush into anything."

"You said that? Then why are you here fretting over whether or not he is your boyfriend when you wanted to take things slow?!" he questioned.

"It's—it's complicated," I said. "I mostly meant that I didn't want to marry him that red hot minute."

"Did he ask you to marry him?!" Charlie gasped.