Chapter 52

The next day after I woke up, a servant came in with that all-too familiar breakfast platter. That servant was none other than...

"Sherry?" I asked.

"Cassie!" she cried. "You'll never believe it, but Missus Lucille assigned me to serve you!"

"She did?" I asked.

Sherry nodded. "I think it's because if she assigned anyone else, they might have poisoned you."

"Oh," I grimaced. "However, I am glad it's you." I felt rather bad, however. I considered Sherry a friend, so it felt off that she would now act as my servant.

"Me too," she said, smiling awkwardly. Despite Sherry's generous and jovial nature, I was sure that even she wouldn't be immune to the strangeness of the situation.

"You're also excellent with hair," I continued. "Much better than me."

She smiled bashfully as she handed me my tray of food. "Thank you, Cassie. Or, I guess I should call you Miss now?"

"No," I said. "Don't call me that. I know things are...stranger, now, but I still consider you a friend. You were the only girl who was nice to me in this castle, and I really appreciate it. If there's anything I can do to help you out, just let me know. I mean it."

"Well," she started, twisting around slightly so that her skirt swished back and forth. "I really don't want to get sacked, so if you put in a good word for me..."

"Consider it done," I said.

"Also," Sherry continued. "And if this is too much let me know, but when I do your hair, could I take some pictures of the updos? Perhaps even tag you? I have an Instagram account for hair, and I'd like to start working on my following. One day...I hope to do something with it."

"Of course!" I beamed. I wondered if this was how Mercucio and Madeline felt about helping me out. There was something satisfying about it. "And the next time I post on my Instagram, I'll be sure to tag you."

"Really?" her eyes widened and sparkled.

"Of course!" I said.

"Thank you!" she squealed. "You're the best."

"Thank you, Sherry. I mean it."

After Sherry helped me get ready for the day, with a dreary heart I headed for Princess Calista's room before I was to start one of my etiquette lessons for the day

After Sherry helped me get ready for the day, with a dreary heart I headed for Princess Calista's room before I was to start one of my etiquette lessons for the day. I figured I ought to talk with her and get an idea on how she was feeling. As I approached her room, I noticed the door was opened a crack and I could hear the Princess yelling.

Oh boy. I thought. Here we go. Maybe I'll come back another time.

"Why not, Mama?!" I heard her shrill voice cry. My ears perked at that—was the Queen in the room with her daughter? Of course, I had to creep closer to the door to eavesdrop.