34

Her heart pounded in her chest, threatening to break through her rib cage and run away.

"W-what?" She stuttered.

"Marry Jungkook."

Jungkook!

She must have heard wrong, if he had suggested what she thought she heard, it would mean that Jungkook was the culprit all along and her was playing mind games with her all along.

"What is your answer?" He asked leaning closer, his breath fanned her face.

"I believe I heard you incorrectly."

"And here I thought you were a smart one." He said chuckling.

"Pardon?" She asked clearly puzzled.

"It was two simple words, which only needed a one word answer. I asked you to marry Jungkook, that is my offer, marry him and your precious mother will be free. If not, well we're going to have to see how things go."

"My dear are you feeling better?" Jungkook approached them with a glass of water in hand. He placed it on the table.

"Is he working for you?" She asked, adrenaline rushed through her blood stream. Her fists clenched at her sides.

Jungkook looked confused.

"Who are you talking about?"

"Him!" But when she diverted her attention back to the culprit. He had somehow vanished.

"What are you talking about? You must be imaging things."

"Give me back my mother or else I will have no choice but to inform the authorities of the abduction of an innocent woman."

"What are you trying to accuse me of?"

"You are holding my mother hostage, I demand you give me her safe return this instance."

"You are speaking nonsense, you have no proof of me doing of such. The authorities are already looking into your mother's case as we speak. There is only so much I can do."

"You have lied to me enough, did you really believe that I wouldn't work it out? All to get me to marry you, when a lady says no, it means just that. If you are finding it difficult to understand, I'd advice you to go look it up in the library."

"You do know that you are being utterly absurd. I've been helping you all this time, but if you wish me to no longer do so, I will."

"I never asked for your help, I'd greatly appreciate it if you return my mother, I will assure you that I will not tarnish your name and tell people of what you have done." She said.

"I don't have your mother, how many times must I tell you?"

"How many times must I tell you that I do not wish to marry you."

"Why may that be?"

"Just tell me where my mother is, I'll go get her myself."

"I do not know your mother's whereabouts." He replied.

"You may not, but one of your underlings certainly does."

"What underling?"

"The one you have employed to harass me into accepting your proposal for marriage."

"Who are you referring to?"

"The masked person that was dancing with me earlier."

"I've already told you that I do not recognise him."

"He tried to make a deal with me, if I did what he asked he would ensure the safe return of my mother."

"What did he ask for?"

"For me to marry you."

"How do you know he's not bluffing?"

"He doesn't seem like the person to bluff, my mother's life is in danger, and you may potentially be the cause, if you are not, then prove your innocence."

"And how are you suggesting I do that?"

"That is not my problem."

"I am innocent." He said looking into her eyes.

"Do you really think that I'd accept that?"

"It was worth a try, I don't know any other way."

"I guess you leave me no choice but to search your house."

"You have no right to do so, that is an invasion of my privacy."

"Don't act like you've never invaded my privacy."

"When have I ever invaded a lady's privacy?"

"You have on several occasions."

"Even if I did, it does not give you the right to search my house."

"What are you going to do, call the authorities?"

"Don't test me." He said glaring.

"Fine, I'm going back to the my long lost love the dessert table, so please excuse me."

Without another word she made her way back to the table. But she had no appetite.

She waited until Jungkook was no where in sight, likely to be chatting with one of his fellow business partners.

She quickly made her way into an unknown corridor, she had gotten lost the previous time she was here, however she could always use that as an excuse if Jungkook or someone else were to find her snooping around.

Everything seemed to look normal for a rich spoilt mansion, valuable portraits and painting hung on expensive wallpaper.

Most of the rooms were locked, or empty. She didn't know how long it had been, but her feet felt numb from the heels. But she still chose to search, perhaps this would be her only opportunity to do so.

She entered another corridor. Almost identical to the last, had she been walking in circles, or was her mind playing tricks on her?

How big was this house? It had so many rooms that every homeless person could have a roof over their heads.

These rich people had too much money to spend, she thought to herself.

She found a room that had the a large heavy oakwood door, it had been left swung open.

Her eyes widen in shock, leaving her mouth hanging open.

So many books! She did not even know that so many books even existed! How could Jungkook afford all this? It would take her years to just afford a small percentage of what this library contained.

There was a large table in the middle of the room, with books already scattered across it.

The sounds of her heels tapping against the marble floor echoed. The books that were open were written in a different language, likely to be Latin. Unfortunately she had no clue on what any of the books were about. Sighing, giving up on attempting to decipher what the books said, she made her way to the shelves, which were stacked with endless books.

Her finger ran along the ridges of the titles, some familiar whilst others unknown. She pulled out one reading the title which was in spiral writing.

"What are you doing here?" A voiced boomed, the sound bounced off the walls creating a distant echo. Causing her to drop the book.

"I got lost." She let the lie slip through her teeth.

"Then follow me." The man said.

___________________________

Author's Note: Hello beautiful beings😊