42

The sound of twigs snapping caused her jolt awake, grabbing the nearest thing near her, a stick? It had to do, she had no other weapon.

She hadn't intended to fall asleep, but she was so exhausted, and must have dozed off. Using the tree to help her stand, leaning against it, in attempts to prevent putting any further pressure on her twisted ankle.

"W-who's there? I have a weapon I'm not afraid to use it." She threatened, holding the stick like a sword, ready to attack the intruder.

"What is a lovely lady like you doing so far in the woods?" A man said approaching them, a bow and arrow at hand and a dagger glinted at his waist. He had a well built body, you could see the thick muscle through his shirt. His light brown bangs covered his forehead.

"Go away or..."

"You'll hit me with a stick? My apologies for being so blunt, but that stick is not an ideal weapon." He said with a chuckle.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned, lowering her stick to her side, but not dropping it completely.

"Hunting, what about you miss?"

"Taking a stroll." She lied.

"With an unconscious woman on the floor and a wheelchair? Are you kidnapping her?"

"She's my mother."

"Kidnapping your own mother? What has the world come to." He said shaking his head.

"I'm not kidnapping her, she wanted to take a nap, I could not stop her."

"So you decided to join her on this fine day?" He said.

She looks at him confused, had he seen her asleep? Was he watching her?

"You have twigs and leaves in your hair, your collar of your dress is ripped, and there's dirt all over it. I wasn't aware such fashion had existed." He said with amusement, gesturing at her unique state.

She glanced at her collar, when had it become ripped? The branding was peaking out, she pulled the collar closer to her neck in attempts to hide it.

"Well please excuse us, me and my mother must be on our way, I shall let you get on with your hunting." She said, but a scream escaped her mouth, as she took her first step, within seconds collapsing on to her knees, the pain in her ankle was agonising. The man rushed over to her.

"Well I do say, that does look painful." He said with a concerned expression.

"Why are you still here?" She asked the stranger.

"Believe it or not my dear, I do not have the heart to leave you here to die." He said with a smile, his dimples becoming visible.

"I am not going to die."

"Last I checked you were sleeping on the ground injured, using a stick as a weapon."

"I was taking a stroll."

"Then allow me to accompany you back, I'm sure your family must be worried sick."

"That won't be necessary, I do not wish to trouble you." She replied.

"It's no trouble at all, I wouldn't want you to be attacked by a wild animal."

"I'll be fine." She insisted.

"You cannot walk, and nor can she." He said stating the facts.

"I'll manage."

"Has anyone ever told you you are rather stubborn?" He questioned.

"I'm not stubborn, your the one who is not leaving."

"You are stubborn, and as I've stated before, I will not allow someone to die on my watch, now tell me why your really in the woods, did you steal something? Are you actually kidnapping her?"

"I didn't take anything! And she's my mother, you can ask her yourself if you wish."

"Come on." He said with a sigh, picking her mother up and placing her in the wheel chair.

"Where?"

"My home, it isn't far from here."

"I don't even know you." She said.

"I am Kim Namjoon, and I believe we are done with introductions, let's get going."

---------------***---------------

Her mother had taught her to never trust strangers and yet here she was practically handing her life over to one.

She sat on a chair as Namjoon, wrapped a bandage around her ankle. She had wiped away the dreadful make-up with a damp cloth, revealing the bruises underneath, fortunately Namjoon did question her.

She now wore what she supposed was men's clothing? Some loose pants that were too long for her, fortunately a belt kept them at her waist, without it she was sure they would fall down, and she wore a large shirt too big for her frame. But it was much more comfortable then wearing that dress.

Her mother lay on the other side of the room, on what was a very thin mattress, on a plank of wood. Surprisingly her mother was able to sleep through the whole thing, she must have been exhausted.

"It's best you give your ankle a rest, I'm sure I have some crutches somewhere, I'll see if I can find where I last placed them." He said running his fingers through hair.

"Thank you, I'm deeply sorry for all the trouble I have caused."

"I couldn't exactly leave you to die, even though you did lie to me."

"Why do you think I'm lying?"

"A person dressed in a frilly dress, with make-up sumdged all over, and variety of twigs and leaves in her hair. Let's not forget her injured foot and an unconscious elder woman. It's as if you somehow escaped bandits. But, I do not believe that is the case, after all you were defending yourself with a mere stick."

He did have a point.

"Fine, I confess that I lied. But I have my reasons."

He raised his eyebrow, as if to question why.

"I don't know if I can trust you. So I cannot tell you, but I promise you I'm not a thief or a kidnapper."

"How am I supposed to believe that?"  He asked.

"I partially trust you, after all I did come into your home even though I only know your name. For all I know you may attempt to kill me."

"I'll attempt to kill you after saving you? I do not even know you're name, and I've welcome you into my home, who knows you may attempt to kill me instead." He said puzzled, this girl was one of the most amusing individuals he'd ever come across.

"I don't think you will, kill me. If you believe I'm capable of killing you with a stick then it is a possibility that I would." She said.

He laughed.

Her stomach let out a huge growl, as if to scream 'I'm here too'.

"Let's get you some food first." Namjoon said with a laugh, going into the corner of the room, which had a hand made table.

"Is stale bread and jam alright? Don't really have much here." He asked, with the stale bread in hand

"I'm fine with anything." She replied, just wanting to eat something.

Namjoon passes her the jam sandwich and a glass of water.

The tastes of berried exploded in her mouth as she bit into the sandwich. Eating the sandwich in a few quick bites, chugging the glass of water down.

"Do I have something on my face?" She asked, noticing Namjoon starring.

He shakes his head.

A knock on the door interrupted them, before the door bursted open.