Chapter 13

Hey everyone! So this chapter will have a few flashbacks. Just to be clear, italics are the flashbacks and the rest is present time. 

I walk into the interrogation room and sit down. Jim shuts the door and sits down as well.

"I'm going to jail now, right?" I asked.

"What are you talking about?" Jim asked.

"I killed my mom, don't I need to finish my sentence?"

"No, actually you don't."

"Why not?"

"Jersey, I know you're lying."

"I'm not lying about anything."

"I'm a detective, kid. I know when you're lying."

"Okay, then what was I lying about?"

"You didn't kill your mother, did you?"

"No," I sigh, "I didn't."

"So, Jerome killed her?"

"Yes."

"So my question is, why did you lie?"

"Because, Jerome was going to jail. I didn't want to be by myself. Plus, I promised I'll always be there for him."

"And you were always there for him, correct?"

"I-I think so."

"Think so?"

---------------------

"I'll always be there for you Jerome."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Thanks sis, I'll always be there for you too."

-----------------------

"Yeah. W-We've been through a lot. He was all I had left."

"How was it when you both were arrested?"

"Not good."

----------------------------------

"Why would you kill her??"

"Jersey, I told you, she was a whore! You think I'm going to let that bitch hurt you anymore?"

"No, but I thought you at least had a heart."

"Jersey..."

"You said you'll be there for me. Well, you're not there for me this time."

"W-What do you mean? I just saved our fucking lives!"

"You killed someone Jerome! Now, you're going to jail! Oh wait, scratch that. We're BOTH going to jail because I decided to be there for your ass!"

"And I never said you had to! But you decide to be the right fucking person every second!"

"That is not true!"

"Really? When that person left, you still had faith he'd come back. Newsflash, he didn't!"

"Fuck you, Jerome! I'm done being there for you!"

"Well so am I!"

-------------------------

"I never meant to say that. W-We were just so upset."

"Jersey, you know it was an accident."

"I just wish I never said it. Because I regret it so much now."

---------------------

"I said, enough!"

"NO! Jerome, please don't die on me! You said you would never leave me!"

"I-I'm s-sorry J-Jersey. I let you d-down."

"No you didn't Jerome. You d-didn't let me down."

"I L-love you sis."

"I love you too."

-------------------------------

"God damn it! Why did he have to go?!" I said as I started to cry. "Why didn't I just protect him?"

"Jersey, you didn't know. You need to stop blaming yourself."

"I can't, Jim. I-I try to stop blaming myself. But I can never stop thinking about that day. I can't stop thinking about him breathing for the last time. I know he did bad things, but he shouldn't have died like that."

"I know. But you need to realize that you did protect him. And you didn't know that was going to happen."

"I-I'll try." It was silent for a few seconds, "So why did you bring me in?"

"Just to see how you're doing. And to let you know you're not going to Arkham."

"Well I am doing terrible, as you can see. But also, if you knew I was innocent, why put me in jail?"

"I think you already know why."

"What?"

"Well, why did you lie to the cops? Why not just let Jerome go to jail?"

"Like I said before, I promised him I'd be there for him. He's done so much for me. And, I will always be there for my brother...even though he's gone."

"There's your answer. You have a big heart, Jersey. Unfortunately, you've been hurt a lot already. But I promise you, everything will get better."

"When, Jim?"

"When you least expect it. Just remember, don't give up. Because there is still light. Even though it might not be showing yet."

"Thanks Jim."

"No problem, kid. Anyways, I've already made a plan with someone about where you're going to live for now."

"It's not an orphanage, right?"

"No. It's actually a friend's house."

"Who?"

"Bruce Wayne."

Also, I'm really sorry there's a lot of dialogue and not much action/description.