Chapter 23

The next day....

I woke up in a hospital bed. My neck is stitched up, but I still feel the pain. Bruce then walks into the room.

"Oh thank god you're awake. I was starting to get worried." He says.

"How long have I been out?" I ask.

"Well it was late yesterday when you got here. So about 8 hours."

"Where's Jim?"

"He said he'll be here soon. He had to deal with something."

"Okay."

"How are you feeling?"

"Still sore. But I'll be okay."

"I'm sorry Jerome did that."

"Why are you sorry?"

"Well, you have to deal with an evil brother-"

"He's not evil! Something's making him this way!" It became silent after that. I sigh, "I'm sorry Bruce. I just don't want to see my brother as a terrible person. I know he was wrong, but I also know he would never mean that."

"Right. I'm sorry I didn't mean to say that."

"It's fine. I get where you're coming from. Siblings usually don't hurt the other like that. But, I knew it was gonna happen. I just can't figure out why. Something must've triggered him, because after he would just grab his neck because it hurt."

"Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I found that unusual too." Jim then walks in.

"Hey Jersey." Jim says.

"Hey."

"How are you feeling?"

"Sore, but better."

"Good. I'm sorry we had to put Jerome in jail again."

"Don't be. That's why I put the handcuffs on him, because I thought it was best for him."

"Well, sorry to leave all of a sudden but there's an issue going on. I'll try to talk to you later, okay?"

"Wait!"

"Yeah?"

"When am I allowed to leave?"

"Umm, I think today. They said you had no severe problems. Why?"

"Are you going to Arkham today?"

"Harvey is I think, why?"

"I want to go visit him."

"Jersey, I don't think you should-"

"Why not? He's my brother."

"I understand. But after what he did to you, it's best to stay away."

"That's the thing. I want to let him know I'm okay. Also I forgive him."

"Forgive him? He tried to kill you...."

"Yeah but it's not like he meant to. Something set him off that made him do this."

"And you're sure about that?"

"I'm his sister. I've known him for a long time. I think I would know if something seemed different."

"Fine," he sighs, "I'll get Harvey."

"Thanks Jim."

"Anytime." Jim then leaves.

At Arkham...

We arrive at the prison. I freeze for a few seconds, realizing how terrible it was there. How could Jerome survive in that place?

"Do you need me to walk you to the conversation room?" Harvey asks.