2.8.2

Scott, Stiles and I stand across the table from Deaton in the animal clinic, going over the plan. "Ketamine?" Scott asks as Deaton holds up a little tiny jar and a needle. "It's the same stuff we use on the dogs, just a higher dosage." Deaton explains, setting the two things down in front of Scott. Scott picks it up, looking the needle and jar full of Ketamine over.

"If you can get close enough to Jackson, it should slow him down enough to buy you some time." Deaton informs Scott. He then looks at Stiles, grabbing another little jar full of some black powder. "This is some of what you'll use to create the barrier. This part is for you, Stiles. Only you. Unless Isabella finds a way to help but she's gonna have her hands tied with keeping her friend occupied and distracting Jackson." Deaton says and I nod.

My job was to make sure Emily wasn't suspicious and to keep an eye on Jackson at all times, making sure he doesn't get close to the one girl working their, Kara Simmons, who was supposedly his next target. It wasn't gonna be that hard, just as long as I don't get distracted. "Uh, that sounds like a lot of pressure" Stiles admits, grabbing the jar full of, what Scott had called, Mountain ash, and looking it over.

"Can we maybe find a slightly less pressure-filled task for me?" Stiles wonders hopefully. Scott and I both give him a look. "It's from the mountain ash tree which is believed by many cultures to protect against the supernatural. This office is lined with Ashwood, making it difficult for someone like Scott to cause me any trouble" Deaton explains. "Okay, so then what? I just spread this around the whole building and then either Jackson or whoever's controlling him can't cross it?" Stiles questions.

"They'll be trapped." Deaton nods. "Doesn't sound too hard." Scott asures him. "Not all there is. Think of it like gunpowder. It's just powder until a spark ignites it. You need to be that spark, Stiles" Deaton tells him. "If you mean light myself on fire, I don't think I'm up for that" Stiles says and Scott gives him a look of disbelief as I face palm. "Why are we even related?" I sigh, shaking my head.

"Let me try a different analogy. I used to golf." "You did?? How? It's so boring" I ask in shock. Deaton raises an eyebrow at me as Scott elbows me in the side. "Right, sorry" I apologize, motioning for him to continue. "I learned that the best golfers never swing before first imagining where they want the ball to go. They see it in their mind and their mind takes over. It can be pretty extraordinary what the force of your own will can accomplish." Deaton describes.

"Force of will." Stiles nods with a sigh. "Hey. If this is going to work, Stiles, you have to believe it." Deaton encourages using hand motions. Scott and I both look over at Stiles. He takes a deep breath, doing the same hand motions as Deaton, letting a relaxed smile come to his face. I give him a thumbs up and a smile.

~~~

Emily had dropped off my outfit in my room. It was a white V-neck t-shirt with some black skinny jeans and some boots and a leather jacket to go with it. Now I don't want to jump to conclusions but...this outfit had Erica written all over it. She was definitely thinking of Erica when she was picking out my outfit for me.

I take a picture in the mirror after putting some mascara on with the caption "Really?" and send it to Emily. I walk out of my room and down the stairs where Stiles was patiently waiting. "Who are you dressing up for?" He asks curiously. "It's a party Sti. You have to at least sort of dress up for it." I point out. He just shrugs. "Come on, we're running late" He says and we both start to rush out of the house and towards his car. We notice Dad getting out of his car.

"Hey. Can't talk, got to run." Stiles says as we go to get in his Jeep. Dad doesn't say anything though, starting to walk into the house. We both glance at each other confused. "Hey, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. What's wrong?" Stiles worries. Dad turns back to us and shrugs. "Nothing." He says. "That doesn't look like nothing, Dad" I say.