01 - encounter

*

*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*

You sighed as you picked up your basket, carrying it back to the small cottage you lived in that resided by the woods, where wildflowers grew. You entered the dark house, sighing as you breathed in the musty smell that never seemed to go away. Grabbing a vase and filling it with water, you placed it in the middle of your two person dining table, trying to find a way to make the barren house more lived in. Your cottage only carried the bare necessities, no decorations or paintings to liven it up. Your job didn't allow you to live a luxurious life, but it sufficed for the moment.

You ran your hands through your hair, sighing as you walked to the bathroom, splashing water on your face. Your abnormal coloured eye stared back at you, reminding you that you were considered weird as you were a human. You grabbed the eye patch that was laying on the counter and slipped it on, concealing the magenta iris and making you fit in with everyone else.

Wiping the dust off of your leggings, you tied your hair up and grabbed your keys, beginning to make the short trek to work. Although you lived in isolation, the town was only five minutes away and contained everything you needed to survive. You had some neighbours, but everyone tended to keep to themselves. You were invisible.

You walked along the gravel path, taking in your surroundings, smiling as butterflies fluttered past and birds sang in the trees. It truly was a breathtaking area. As you walked into town, you noticed it was bare. There was no sign of anyone, the circle silent, only the soft splashing of the fountain was heard. You cautiously made your way to the small bakery you worked at, opening the door, but like outside, it was empty.

"Jenna?" You called for your boss, but no reply. Shutting the door behind you, you made your way to the kitchen that was hidden from the public eye. You stopped abruptly as you noticed the flour split on the floor and some cupboards open. Whoever was here was messy and in a rush. "Jenna?" You walked over to the fridge and gasped as you felt your stomach lurch at the sight in front of you.

Your boss was dead. Thrown carelessly into the fridge, blood dripping from her neck onto her clothes, her expression one of fear. You felt tears prick the corner of your eyes and you turned around to call the police. It didn't take a genius to know what did this.

"What's your emergency?" You frantically explained the situation, the man on the other side growing concerned when you mentioned the blood dripping from her neck. "What's your name, dear? Don't worry, I've sent the police over. Stay on the phone with me in case the attacker comes back."

You sighed, your breath shaking, the presence of Jenna behind you made you feel queasy. "I'm Resi, I'm 18 and I work at this bakery."

"And do you have any family, anyone that can come calm you down? Any friends?" A tear dropped from the corner of your eye.

"No."

*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*

The police eventually arrived, immediately seeking the body, taking pictures and looking around for DNA evidence. One came to interview you, and you shakily retold the story of how you just found her. "Thank you." The police woman nodded her head at you and clicked her pen, flicking through the pages on her clipboard. "Do you know anyone that wanted to harm Jenna? Any upset customers, people that disliked her?"