Chapter 84. Your Highness

I think I should follow the advice I give to my fellow human beings. I tell them to never give up, but I myself run away when things get out of my comfort zone.

I adviced Karthik to keep trying and believe in himself, but I wasn't doing the same. If I wouldn't work hard to get in the volleyball team, then surely I would lag behind.

Thus, I decided to participate in the second round of selection because I was sure I didn't make it in the first round thanks to my pathetic performance. If Dad had seen me, he would have been so disappointed.

Brrrinnngg!

As the first bell rang, I picked up my pace and headed towards my Chemistry class. While I was busy in my own world, I noticed a huge crowd gathered near the notice board in the main hallway. A lot of students were grunting and shaking their heads to themselves.

What was the hot topic?

I tried to peek above them to get a look, but I couldn't see anything. I heard my batchmates exclaim that they got really good or low marks and would go to a party later. It took me a few seconds to realise what they were talking about.

First semester's results!

I retreated my steps as I already knew that I must have flunked. I began to dash out of there, but my best friend caught me in time and dragged me through the crowd. After making a path like a bulldozer, Surbhi placed me in front of the glass covered notice board and motioned for me to check my results.

"Let me also see how much marks you got," she taunted.

I pursed my lips and shook my head vigorously. She gave me a murderous glare, and I started searching for my name from the last. I went through two lists and didn't find my name; I doubted whether my score was so low that authorities thought it better to save some space by cutting off my name altogether.

Got it!

"Damn, 46th rank," I grumbled.

"Why don't you go and boast about it to Priyaank?" Surbhi suggested.

"Priyaank who?"

She gave me a flat look. "Did you finally lose your non-existent brain?"

"Why would I tell him? He is my crush, not my guardian," I retorted.

"Whatever. By the way, do you know who came first?" She wiggled her eyebrows.

I didn't need to check to know who it was. Still I did and bingo! Ved Rajput was written proudly in front of number one followed by none other than Parth on second position and Ayush on the third.

How do these guys study when they are busy playing all day?

"Oh my god!" Parth exclaimed as he came beside me. "I can't believe it. Second rank! I am so proud of myself!"

"Traitor," I mumbled.

"Don't be sad, dude. I am sure you must be in the toppers' list," he assured, and I pouted.

"Your great friend is here," Surbhi pointed on the list, "at forty six."

Parth blinked rapidly and gave me a side hug. "You can always try next time; after all, these are just marks."

"Hm..." I nodded lightly.

"Surbhi!" Tanya called and waved her hand at her.

"Okay guys, I should get going. Sandhya, don't dampen your mood; I only scolded you because of the reason you know very well," Surbhi said and left for her lecture after squeezing the hell out of me.