Chapter 99. Doomed

"Why aren't you eating anything, Sandhya?" Divya asked while pointing towards my lunchbox.

"What happened?" Rashi inquired.

"Oye," Surbhi poked me, "say something. What's troubling you?"

"Girls, don't pressurise her; give her some space," Tanya scolded them and glanced at me.

"I am sorry, guys. My mind is not working properly," I sighed.

Tanya gave me a smile in reassurance and told Surbhi to stop sulking. After a small lecture from Tanya, everyone continued eating their lunch, while Surbhi was shooting me death glares for ignoring her.

Of course, she was mad. I had promised that we wouldn't hide anything from each other, but I couldn't blow out Ayush's painful past like that in front of others without his permission.

Even after Nikhil and my parents tried so hard to cheer me up, I felt all my energy being drained out as soon as I stepped inside the college. My eyes were continuously searching for Ved and when they spotted him, I ran away that instant; I didn't know for how longer I would be able to keep my mouth shut.

While thinking about Ayush's confession that day, I closed my tiffin and pushed it aside, mentally apologizing to mom for not eating the food. I thought of excusing myself and retiring to the Drama club to distract myself, but my eyes zeroed in on the white coloured lunch box which slid on the table and stopped right in front of me.

I blinked rapidly and widened my eyes as I saw my utmost favourite dish, Kashi Halwa, staring back at me.

(Kashi Halwa👆)

"Why don't you eat it to check if it is real or not?"

I snapped my head to the right and saw Natural Heater looking back at me with a huge grin on his bright face. He sat down beside me and gave me a spoon.

"You made it?" My eyebrows were touching the sky.

"Yes, my lady." Ved nodded and motioned for me to taste the dish.

"Lucky bitch," Surbhi teased and my girl gang started giggling.

I glanced between Ved and my favourite delicacy. After doing that multiple times and my friends scolding me to stop delaying, I moved my hand and took a spoonful of the dish and put it in my mouth.

Oh my god, it was so yummy!

Just a morsel, and I was in heaven. I slowly munched, enjoying the taste and finally letting the food travel to my stomach.

"How is it?" Ved asked with caution.

"Only Mom knows how to make it the way I like," I confessed. "How did you manage to cook it?"

"I learned from the best." He winked.

Oh, so that's what he was doing yesterday in my kitchen. And Mom and Dad didn't even tell me what the three of them were planning - my parents had become really close to him even though their interactions weren't that much.