Truth and Scars

Nightmare

I was running faster than I'd ever done so before. My breath came out shallow and raggered. I stumbled and heard a somewhat familiar male's laughter. A cackle that haunted me. 'You can't run from me' the voice ringing in my head. Sweat formed on my forehead and I slowed my pace. If I were to go down I was going down fighting. a knife slashed my back dislocating my wings. I was flightless. Blood dripped down staining my clothes and the ground beneath me. Chains came out of nowhere from the ground keeping me in place. I was speedless. I tried lighting myself on fire but I've encircled my hands making me thrash around. I was fireless. My canines grew and I bit into a chain breaking a link. Again a knife came and cut my mouth. I saw my canines fall out and tasted blood. I was powerless. 'You will die, Gabrielle Thompson my..'.

I screamed and felt a sticky substance on my back. Thinking it was sweat I sat up. As I sat up I screamed in pain and shock again. My back felt as if it was broken. I heard someone running towards me and as I was about to attack but felt sparks erupt from my hand.

'What's the matter? Are you okay?' Zach asked. He went to rub my back in a comforting manner but stopped when I screamed again. Zach turned the light on and all colour retracted from his face.

I knew he was mind linking someone when his face glazed over. I carefully placed a hand on my back and winced. The sticky stuff wasn't sweat but blood. I removed my hand and examined it. My hand was covered in blood still fresh but I couldn't remember being attacked. That's when I remembered the dream I just previously had.

I slowly peeled the blanket off me and sighed seeing that the rest of me was okay. I tentatively lifted my shirt and saw the scar I'd received from another nightmare not too long ago. I had always covered it with makeup every morning or after I'd had a shower.

Zach came back to reality and looked at me with confusion. 'I don't understand what happened? How did THAT happen?' Zach asked pointing to my back.

I couldn't move without wanting to scream again. 'A nightmare..' was all I said before several people came into the lounge-room where I sat. Emilia, Kylie, Brandon and another female rushed in. I was assuming the anonymous person standing in front of me was the pack doctor.

'I'm Vanessa the pack doctor, what seems to be the problem?', Vanessa examines my front before walking around to look at my back.

She gasps and her hand flys to her mouth. Emilia, Kylie, Brandon and Zach walk over to Vanessa and they all stare at my back.

'Have you got some morphine? It'll be healed soon but I kind of want to have a shower without doubling over in pain', I ask dryly.

'I'll go grab some stuff, then you can have a shower and then I can examine your injury closer', Vanessa composed herself from her initial shock. She hurried out of the room.

I mutter a thankyou as Emilia comes sit down on the ground in front of me. She gives me a knowing look obviously remembering the same thing that happened before except on my stomach.

Emilia was there last time I woke up bleeding from my stomach for no apparent reason.

Flashback

I woke up screaming louder than usual, Emilia ran to my side. I was 11 and clueless as to what was happening and why I felt such pain. I screamed for Cassandra and Jonathan to help me. They rushed into the room turning the light on in the process. I looked down and saw blood covering my once blue pajamas. Emilia screamed at the sight of me blood soaked and she ran to Jonathan who cradled her. Cassandra carefully sat down next to me and tried to remove my shirt. I screamed when the fabric rubbed against my skin. Tears soaked my cheeks and continued to soak my pillow as I tried not to move. Cassandra disappeared down the stairs to the kitchen. Moments later she came back with a first aid kit and scissors. She tried a different tactic instead of lifting the shirt off me she cut the shirt off me. All the while Emilia was looking at me with scared eyes. Cassandra bandaged me up without saying a word and gave me some painkillers. We never talked about it again.