Escaping

That night

I tugged on the chains, refusing to sleep. My wings were almost healed, only a scar remaining. Tegan had fallen asleep not long ago and had mostly healed.

Seeing how the ice around my hands has almost melted I began to heat my body temperature. Slowly the ice began to drip faster, it burned but I knew we had to escape, tonight. The ice finally melted leaving a puddle of water on the ground beneath me.

'Tegan!' I whisper- yelled.

She yawned and looked at me through sleeping eyes, reminding me of Emilia.

'We are leaving this place so be prepared for anything', I said quietly, half expecting our father to come in smiling.

Tegan nodded in response and watched the doorway. I continues to heat my body until the chains that held me melted. I shook them off and carefully placed them on the ground, making sure no noise was made. I jumped around for a bit trying to get rid of the numbness that had occurred due to being chained.

Next I started on Tegan, careful not to burn her. She wasn't used to heat like mine but had been severally burned in a torturous way before. Tegan leaped off the wall with an extraordinary amount of energy. I caught the chains before they made contact with the floor otherwise we'd be recaptured in record time.

Tegan stretched her arms and shook a little before turning to me with a "what now" look. I shrugged and crept towards the door, all my senses completely alert.

I skimmed along the wall signaling Tegan to follow. I heard some sort of fighting a fair few levels above us. I think it's the ground level and the fighting sounds big.

'We'll try to avoid the fighting on the ground level.. Do you know your way around here?', I ask.

Tegan shakes her head. Great.. just great... I thought sarcastically.

Leading the way I start going up the stairs towards ground level. The slight thump of our feet made me scowl, Im usually as silent as a microscopic organism. Upstairs was a bit more.. decorative.

With paintings lining the wall and flush red carpet covering the surface of the floor. This level was much more inviting compared to the murky depths of both the cells and where Tegan was.

The fighting grew louder and I was sure Tegan could here it too. I looked Tegan and saw that she'd paled a little and fear was rolling into her scent.

'I can smell the fear you're betraying', I whisper ever so slightly.

Tegan takes a few quiet deep breaths before giving a slight smile. Her scent immediately became normal.. thankfully.

We went up a few more stairs before the fighting was loud and clear.

Shouts, screams and yells filled the air and the smell of blood was intoxicating.

Reaching a door, I put my ear to it, listening to the running footsteps and paws that were on the other side. I took a deep breath and entered.. chaos.

************************************************************************