Compromise

Something was really wrong with me. Something changed inside me and I was starting to get scared. Scared of the possible changes. I didn't want the change.

How would I ignore it? How would I try to act like it wasn't bothering me at all? How would I pretend that it wasn't that important?

During our Trigonometry examination, I tried to push back those thoughts. I tried to concentrate on the test paper in front of me. Thank goodness there were some problems that I still remembered how to answer.

The next day our Art Professer Ms. Tiffany Kim surprised us with an announcement. She suddenly announced about our final class project. "Okay, since the school year is halway done I've finally decided what kind of project you all will make!"

All of us looked skeptical with what she said. Ms. Kim was known for her crazy ways and ideas. We never know what might be on her mind. She beamed in front of us. "We are going to set up an art studio with your very own art."

Silence. No one even dared to speak.

"So?" Ms. Kim looked at us excitedly. "It's a great idea right? Okay, so I already paired you up into two with random names."

"What do you mean, Ms. Kim?" Baekhyun interrupted. He looked like he wanted to complain about the whole thing. "This project is by pairs?"

"That's what I'm talking about, Baekhyun," she answered, pointed and winked at him. "So! Here are the list of the pairs. Get ready!"

She named the pairs so fast no one had time to complain about their partners. No one had time to react. Some of my classmates just groaned and some were silently thanking with how they were paired with their friends. I was getting fidgety about my partner, hoping it was from my friends. Then at the end she said, "Do Kyungsoo paired with Byun Baekhyun and the last pair is Oh Sehun and Park Chanyeol. Yehey!" She even clapped, like she was proud of herself.

I blinked and stared at her for a moment to process what she said. She actually paired me with Oh Sehun? The Oh Sehun? The person who has been ignoring me for almost a month? Sure. Sure, why not? What could be more awkward than that?

"But-" I heard Sehun started to say. "Ms. Kim, I think this is-"

"A good idea?" Ms. Kim smiled at him. "Yes, Sehun it sure is! Now, I'm going to give you guys until the last month of the year to make your artworks. May it be a series or a solo painting- whatever your choice!"

I slowly turned to Sehun who looked like he wanted to protest but he stopped himself. He bit his lip and looked down.

Sighing, I thought about it. Working with Sehun may be a good or a bad idea. Will it be successful? What if it won't? We were both doomed.

But a part of me was actually excited. It has been so long since I was with Sehun. I hoped that this was a sign. A sign from the heavens that we would end up to somewhere good.

After class, I immediately followed Sehun to his locker. Determined to finally talk to him now that we have a very important thing to talk about. I stopped in front of him. His back frame was stiff and his wide broad shoulders were obvious. I hinted a smell of an expensive perfume that he usually wore. My heart was starting to pound fast. "Sehun..."

He paused in front of his locker after opening it. He didn't look back on me but I knew he heard me. He acknowledged my presence. A big upgrade from him ignoring me the whole time.

"I know you're mad but this is about the project..." I cleared my throat and stood straight, trying to push back my nervousness. "We need to talk about it."