Six

The next morning, I chose to walk to school. It wasn't that far of a walk, and I could use the time to think. Lydia caught me. "Are you alright? You've been a little distant."

I smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine. I think I could use a girl's chat. After school?"

Lydia hugged me. "Lyss--"

I sighed. "I could use advice on a guy. I think he likes someone else."

She gave me a look. "We're talking about Stiles, aren't we?"

"Ye--how do you know?"

She sighed. "Lyss, he's been in love with you since second grade. And I know you at least like him, otherwise you wouldn't be talking to me about it."

"Well, let's say he's got his mind on another girl. Someone prettier, more popular, the guy everyone wants."

She frowned. "Pretty sure we're talking about me. Alyssa, Stiles has never liked me. You know, I have a class with him, and he never shuts up about you. Always complimenting you, asking for advice, and just talking about you; often to the point where I have to tell him to shut up. You're beautiful, have status, and you are the girl everyone wants. Lyss, Stiles is hopelessly in love with you and I can't wait until you guys get together."

I smiled. "Thanks for the reassurance. After yesterday, well, I needed that. I gotta get to class, but I'll see you at lunch."

"Do we still need girl's talk?"

"No, we just had girl's talk."

She nodded. "See you at lunch!"

I got to class and took my spot next to Stiles. Scott came in a moment after. Stiles looked mad at Scott. Scott took the opportunity to speak. "Still not talking to me? Okay, can you at least tell me if you're dad's okay? It's just a bruise, right? Some soft tissue damage? Nothin' that big--you know I feel really bad about it, right? Okay. What if I told you that I'm trying to figure this whole thing out, and that I went to Derek for help."

Stiles turned to Scott. "If I was talking to you, I'd say that you're an idiot for trusting him. But obviously I'm not talking to you."

He tried to ignore Scott, but as per usual, his curiosity got the better of him. "What did he say?"

Scott gave Stiles a look. As though realizing what Scott was saying, Stiles said, "Wh--he wants you to tap into your animal side and get angry?"

"Yeah." Scott nodded.

"All right, well, correct me if I'm wrong, but every time you do that, you try to kill someone, and that someone's usually me or Ally. Last time you wolfed out, you scratched her."

"I know. Don't remind me. That's what he means when he says he doesn't know if he can teach me. I have to be able to control it. How are your scratches, Lyssa?"

"They're healing. Slowly. No thanks to you," I retorted.

"I said I was sorry!" Scott protested.

"Children," Stiles warned teasingly, but seriously. "Well how's he gonna teach you to do that?"

Scott shrugged. "I don't know. I don't think he does either."

"Okay," Stiles noted. "When are you seeing him again?"

"He told me not to talk about it. Just act normal and get through the day."

"When?" I repeated.

"He's picking me up at the Animal Clinic after work."

"After work. All right, well, that gives me to the end of the school day then." Stiles decides.

"To do what?"