Twenty-Four

I ran up to Sheriff Stilinski, followed by Isaac and Scott. He offered the three of us an apologetic look, me, the most. He sighed and said, "I got to meet with the medical examiner and try to figure out what happened with Jackson. I've got an APB out on Stiles. His Jeep is still in the parking lot, so that means--the hell, I don't know what that means. Um, look, if he answers his phone, if he answers his emails, if either one of you see him--"

"We'll call you," Isaac finished.

Scott gave a shaky smile. "Look, he's probably just freaked out from all the attention or something. We'll find him."

Sheriff Stilinski nodded. "Yeah. I'll see you, okay?"

I followed the boys into the locker room and sat on the bench as Scott and Isaac walked up to me after speaking with Coach for a moment. "Is that everyone?" Scott asked as people began walking off.

Isaac nodded. "I think so. You're gonna find him by scent?"

Scott nodded. "Yeah, we both are. Lyssa, do you have any idea where he might be?"

I shook my head as Isaac complained, "How come you get his shirt and I get a shoe?"

We were about to head out when two guests appeared, one more surprising than the other. "We need to talk," Derek said.

"All of us," Peter added.

My eyes narrowed. "How in the holy hell are you alive?!"

"Holy sh--" Scott began.

Scott frowned. "Like Lyssa was saying, what the hell is this?"

Derek gave Scott a 'Really?' look. "You know, I thought the same thing when I saw you talking to Gerard at the sheriff's station."

Scott's eyebrows raised slightly. "Okay, hold on. He--he threatened to kill my mom. And I had to get close to him. What was I supposed to do?"

Peter nodded and pointed to Scott. "I'm gonna go with Scott on this one. Have you seen his mom? She's gorgeous."

"Shut up," Derek and Scott retorted.

"Who is he?" Isaac asked, clearly having no idea what was going on.

"That's Peter, Derek's uncle. Little while back, he tried to kill us all, almost killed Lyssa, and then we set him on fire, and Derek slashed his throat."

"Hi," Peter said with a small wave.

"That's good to know," Isaac noted.

"How is he alive?" I retorted with a glare at the older werewolves.

Derek sighed and frowned at me. "Look, the short version is he knows how to stop Jackson. And maybe how to save him."

Isaac gave a small scoff. "Well, that's very helpful except Jackson's dead."

"What?" Derek askes in disbelief.

"Yeah, Jackson's dead," Scott repeated. "It just happened on the field."

Isaac looked between the group. "Okay, why is no one taking this as good news?"

Peter let out a long sigh. "Because if Jackson is dead, it didn't just happen. Gerard wanted it to happen."

"But why?" Derek asked, sounding confused.

Peter thought for a moment. "Well, that's exactly what we need to figure out. And something tells me the window of opportunity is closing. Quickly."

A few minutes later, I got a call from Sheriff Stilinski. "Alyssa, we found him. Stiles is okay. He's home."

"Oh, thank God. Can I--can I see him?"