Forty-One

Stiles and I stood to one side at school while Scott talked to the twins. He shortly made his way over to us to hear about what happened the night before. Stiles immediately started talking about the key. "So then she starts talking about phosphors and the key having chemicals on it, right? And so that made me think of the chemistry closet and the fact that someone had to let Barrow in... it's gone. Okay, it doesn't matter though. It doesn't matter. I've still got the key." He rummaged through his pocket. "What the hell? I had it. I had it here. I had it here this morning, I swear to God, I had it this morning."

"Stiles, it's okay. It's okay," I said softly.

He gave me a panicked look as Scott asked, "The key you were talking about last night?"

Stiles nodded. "Yeah, I showed it to you, right? Didn't I show it to you? I know Ally saw it."

Scott shook his head. "No, you just told me about it. I never actually saw it."

Stiles began getting more panicked as he began explaining himself. "I was here a couple of hours ago. And the message left to Barrow spelling Kira's name was right there and I had the key to the chemistry closet."

"So you unlocked the chemistry closet so Barrow could hide in it from the cops and then you wrote him a message to kill Kira?"

"I know how it sounds. But look at this. This is the news report that came out about Barrow when they caught him, okay? About the shrapnel bomb that he used. See this? See what he did? He put nuts, bolts, and screws. And then he hid the bomb and the detonator in a box that he wrapped as a birthday present. What does that sound like to you?"

"Coach," Scott and I said.

Stiles nodded. "The joke we played on Coach. That was my idea. You remember? That was my idea. That's no coincidence. It can't be."

Scott sighed. "I don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell you that you're wrong. But I don't think you're trying to kill people either."

"It was here. It was all here."

Scott looked closer at Stiles. "Dude, are you feeling okay? You're looking really tired."

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just haven't been sleeping."

"Why don't you go home? Take a sick day or something. Lyssa can go with you."

"Did you tell him?"

Scott shook his head. "Go get some rest. Lyssa, take care of him."

I held out my hand and Stiles stared at me. "What?"

"Keys, Stiles. You're in no shape to drive. I'm worried you'll fall asleep at the wheel and kill us both."

He frowned. "Glad to know you have such little faith in me."

"Stiles, I have more than a little faith in you, but you need sleep. And I think you need more help than I can give you."

He glared at me as we pulled up to the hospital. "When you said professional help, this isn't what I had in mind."

"What did you have in mind?" I asked as I turned to face him.

"I-I don't know, but it wasn't this," Stiles replied as he sunk into the seat.

"Ace, I'm worried about you. You haven't been sleeping and you're getting ill and it's scaring me. Your anxiety has gotten really bad and this lack of sleep is making you sick. I love you, which is why I'm doing this. Part of love means taking care of the other person. Perhaps they can give you a pill or give you a list of things that might help."

Stiles gave a shaky sigh. "I hate to admit it, but you're right."

I tenderly kissed him. "Thank you. Don't worry, they'll take good care of you. I'll make sure of it."