Twenty-Two

We arrived at the Stilinski household and spent a good few minutes trying to convince Sheriff Stilinski about our newfound information. AKA, the kanima's master. Sheriff Stilinski looked at the picture we gave him. "So this kid's the real killer?"

"Yeah." I nodded as I held up the yearbook opened to the page with Matt's picture.

Sheriff Stilinski didn't look convinced. "No."

"Yes!" Stiles cried.

"No," Sheriff Stilinski repeated.

Stiles groaned in annoyance. "Dad, come on. Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all he had to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

Sheriff Stilinski nodded and seemed confused. "Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter Kara wasn't in Harris's class."

"So it doesn't have anything to do with Harris's class. It has to do with something else," I said, stating the obvious.

Stiles sighed in defeat at his dad's comment. "Alright, okay, you're right, sorry. Both of you are. Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

Sheriff Stilinski shook his head. "No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges. But that doesn't prove anything."

"H--" Stiles began.

The sheriff turned to Scott. "Scott, do you believe this? Alyssa, I know you do."

"Oh," Stiles muttered.

Scott sighed as he struggled to find the words. "It's really hard to explain how we know this, but you just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt."

Stiles nodded and added, "Yeah, he took Harris's car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris's class, that they'd arrest him."

I rested my head on the table for a moment. Sheriff Stilinski sighed in defeat. "Alright, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"

Stiles raised his hands in annoyance. "Isn't it obvious? Our swim team sucks! They haven't won in, like, six years. Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

"Stop with Harris!" I exclaimed.

At the same time, Sheriff Stilinski said, "What do you want me to do?"

"We need to look at the evidence," I stated as though it were obvious. I mean, it should be.

Sheriff Stilinski shot me a look. "Yeah, that would be in the station, where I no longer work."

Stiles gave a small smile to his dad. "Trust me, they'll let you in."

The sheriff raised an eyebrow. "Trust you?"

"Trust--trust Scott? Or Ally?"

"Scott and Ally I trust. Though, both are slightly iffy."

The four of us headed to the station. The ride was awkwardly silent, but that was to be expected. We headed into the station to see Officer Bungalon. She gave us a look and frowned. "It's two in the morning."

Sheriff Stilinski sighed deeply. "Believe me, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't extremely important."

Stiles glanced to me and Scott. "We look at the hospital stuff first, okay?"

Scott's brow furrowed in confusion. "Why?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because all the murders were committed by Jackson, excluding Jessica, the pregnant girl. And since Matt killed her himself, there's a chance that someone from the hospital saw him."