Forty-Seven

I sat by Stiles on Scott's bed as Melissa examined him. I looked up at her for a moment. "I know you want to make sure, but trust me. This is really Stiles." He held my hand as Melissa checked his pulse with his other hand.

She let out a small laugh as she said, "Well... Medically you seem okay. You're definitely a real person."

Stiles nodded slowly. "Okay, so I'm real, but am I really me?"

I rubbed circles in his hand. "Yeah, Ace. You are really you."

"Is she here?" Stiles asked as he sat up a little.

"Is who here?" I questioned, wondering what he was getting on about.

Scott met my eyes. "Kira's mom."

I glanced at Stiles and he sighed. "I want to make sure I'm totally me. Okay, let's do this. Scott, wanna help me downstairs?" Scott nodded and Stiles said to him, "Look out for her, okay? I have no idea what will happen, but keep her safe, okay?"

Scott nodded as he led Stiles out of the bedroom and down the hallway. I followed, but Melissa stopped me. "I'm always amazed at how strong you kids are. I know you guys will get through this."

I gave a nod of thanks as I rushed down the stairs to see Kira's mom. "Do you recognize me?"

A door slammed and Kira rushed in. "Stop."

Stiles glanced at her. "It's okay. I'm the one who asked her to come."

Kira shook her head. "You're the one who's going to get stabbed with swords. Mom, don't do this to him!"

"It's already done."

The Oni appeared and I felt even more terrified. I grabbed Scott's hand as one Oni stood behind Stiles and grasped the back of his head with its gloved hand. Stiles trembled and fell to the ground as the Oni disappeared. "Look behind his ear," Mrs. Yukimura demanded. Kira did as her mom instructed and everyone breathed a sigh of relief as we saw the familiar backwards five behind his ear.

"It worked!" Scott cried.

I knelt by Stiles and helped him sit up as I said, "Told you he was himself."

Relief filled Stiles' eyes and he asked, "So, I'm actually me?"

Mrs. Yukimura gave a small smile. "More you than the Nogitsune."

"Can the Oni find him?"

She nodded. "Tomorrow night. It's too close to dawn now."

Well, so much for that answer. Stiles went on to ask, "Can they kill him?"

"It depends on how strong he is."

"What about Lydia? Why in the hell would take her?" I asked, wanting an answer explaining why.

"He would only take her for an advantage."

Scott frowned. "You mean for her power?"

Kira's mom nodded. "The power of a Banshee."

Stiles glanced at me. "Ally's a Banshee. Why didn't they take her?"

"She was surrounded by two werewolves. Lydia was easier to grab. If he could have grabbed her, he would have."

As Scott drove us to the station to reunite father and son, I winced at the screaming voices in my head. They were present when Stiles came back to us, but now, they were almost unbearable. The bubbling in my stomach didn't help either.

"Als, are you okay?" Stiles asked softly, a look of concern plastered on his face.

I slowly raised my eyes to meet my boyfriend's, and he was sickly pale. I was forced to face the bitter truth. Stiles was dying.