Twenty-Nine

I sat behind Scott and Stiles, on a rare seat to myself. Something was wrong with Scott. My guess was supernatural means. Stiles obviously noticed too because he called to Scott. "Yo, Scotty. Hey, you, Scotty? Still with me?"

Scott nodded slowly. "Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?"

""Anachronism"," Stiles repeated.

Scott gave a painful sigh and said, "Something that exists out of its normal time."

Stiles grinned. "Nice. Okay, next word... "incongruous.""

Scott was silent for a moment. "Um, can you use it in a sentence?"

I rested my arms on the back of their seat as Stiles said, "Yes. Yes, I can. It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened... Incongruous."

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd," Scott defined.

Stiles licked his lips. "Perfect. Okay, next word. Um, Darach. Darach, it's a noun." Scott didn't meet his eyes and I swatted Stiles' shoulder. Stiles sighed and shot me a look as he continued. "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in the thing for, like, five hours, so why not? Next word..."Intransigent.""

"Stubborn, obstinate," Scott managed.

"Whoa, hey, Scott. You okay?" I asked worriedly.

At the same time, Stiles also asked, "Oh, buddy, you okay? We shouldn't have come. I knew it. We shouldn't have come."

Scott turned and glanced at me, then turned his attention back to Stiles. "We had to. There's safety in numbers."

Stiles gave Scott a look. "Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre... or bloodbath, carnage, slaughter, butchery, wow, that's... all right, Scott, I'm telling Coach that..."

Scott shook his head as he winced in pain. "No. No, no, no. I'm alright."

"Scott," I said quietly. "You look far from alright."

Stiles nodded and said in the same tone of voice, "Would you just let us see it?"

"I'm okay," Scott argued.

"Just let us see it, okay?" I told Scott impatiently.

"Okay," Scott sighed and lifted up his shirt. We saw a bloody wound on Scott's abdomen. Not only was there red blood, there's also black, which meant that Scott's body is trying to heal itself, but it was obviously not working.

Scott tried to reassure us. "I know it's bad, but it's because they're from an Alpha. It'll take longer to heal."

"How come Boyd and Isaac are fine then?" Stiles asked.

Scott didn't answer and instead, moaned, "I can't believe he's dead. I can't believe Derek's dead."

He leaned against the window as Coach scanned the bus. "Two of you, back in your seats. Jared, again, car sick? Every ti... how do you even get on the bus? Look at me. No, don't look at me. Look at the horizon. Keep your eyes... keep your eyes on the horizon. McCall, not you too."

"No, Coach, I'm good," Scott answered.

I tapped Stiles' arm as I pointed to Scott. Stiles noticed what I was getting at and said quietly, "Hey, Scott, you're bleeding again. And don't tell me that it's just taking longer to heal, okay? Because I'm pretty sure that still bleeding means not healing, like, at all."

Scott stopped and glanced to Ethan and Danny. "He's listening."

"Is he gonna do something?" I asked worriedly.