Thirty-Eight

The boys were adamant about finding Malia, and I wanted to find my friend, so I willingly followed. From a distance, I saw Stiles motion to something and said, "I think I found something."

"So did I," Scott noted.

We walked into a den and I knew we'd made a mistake. A big mistake. "It's a coyote den," Stiles clarified.

"Werecoyote," Scott added.

Stiles picked up a picture. "You see this? This is Malia's. Remember, it's the same one she was wearing in the photo; the one Ally was looking at."

Scott looked at it for a moment and stated, "We shouldn't be here."

"What do you mean?"

I rolled my eyes. "We invaded her home with our scent. It's everywhere. She's not going to want to come back here now."

Stiles made an 'o' face and asked, "If she's not going to come back here, where she going to go?"

Scott shook his head, signaling he wasn't sure. "I don't know."

Stiles looked to Scott. "Can you track her now? You think you got her scent?"

Scott sighed. "Maybe. But I'm better at this when I'm a full wolf. And I'm still worried that if I do it, I won't be able to turn back."

We looked back at the house and Stiles noted, "The door's still open."

"If I can't get to Derek, we're gonna have to find someone else to help," Scott realized. "This is basically a crime scene, right? I think it might be a little out of my boss's league."

"And more in my dad's," Stiles finished.

We called in Sheriff Stilinski and met up with him. We explained the situation and the sheriff was clearly confused. "You're sure it was her?"

Scott nodded. "I looked her right in the eyes. And they glowed just like mine."

"It makes sense, Dad."

Due to the fact that he couldn't wrap his head around it all, Sheriff Stilinski tried to provide logic to the situation, which was impossible. "But it wasn't a girl. It was a four-legged coyote, right?"

"Well, okay. But yeah, see, that's the point we don't exactly have figured out yet," Stiles admitted.

Scott thought for a moment. "Okay, but if it was a full moon and she did change while her mom was driving, then anything could've happened."

I nodded and finally spoke. "She could have shifted and killed people. Actually, that's why her eyes are blue."

Stiles added, "Ripping, shredding, tearing things."

Scott nodded at the two of us. "Which is probably what caused the accident."

Stiles turned to the sheriff. "Think about it, Dad, alright. They're driving, Malia starts to change, and she goes out of control, the mom crashes and everybody else dies."

"Except for Malia," Scott and I said.

Stiles continued on. "She blames herself, alright, goes off running into the woods and eventually becomes trapped inside the body of a coyote."

"That makes sense..." Sheriff Stilinski sighed. "...in a Chinese folktale. Boys, young lady, this is this is insane. I need this kept quiet. The two of you, not a word. I don't want anyone hearing about this. I especially don't want Mr. Tate hearing about this. Scott? Scott!"

Scott shook his head a few times and looked up at the sheriff. "Sorry. What did you say?"

The way he reacted, I knew that Scott had a vision. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ask him because Stiles pulled me away for school. In class, we talked to Allison. Stiles showed a her picture on his phone. "Here's where we found the den. It's right in the middle of the hiking trails."