Seventeen

"Hey, Alyssa," I heard a voice say.

I turned to see Danny walking up to me. "Hey, Danny. You look worried. What's going on?"

"It's Jackson. He's acting even more touchy than usual. He wouldn't let me spot him."

I shrugged. "My guess is he's just being Jackson. You know he likes to do things himself. Maybe that's why he got so worked up."

Danny shook his head. "No, it's not just that. Something else is going on with him."

I patted his shoulder. "Don't worry. We'll figure it out."

Danny nodded. "Thanks, Alyssa. I'll see you later, okay?"

He gave me a hug and I searched for Scott and Stiles and found them entering the school.

"Stiles, Scott, you look worried. What's going on?" I asked, noticing their expressions.

"Dude, Ally, I just talked to my dad, who just talked to Jackson, and I've got really terrible, horrible, very, very bad news," Stiles said.

"Worse than Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day?" I joked, earning a look from both boys. Some people just don't appreciate a joke.

Scott sighed. "I think I already know."

"Alright," Stiles began, "I only found one thing online called a kanima. It's a werejaguar from South America that goes after murderers."

"That thing was not a jaguar."

"Yeah, and I'm not exactly a murderer."

I raised an eyebrow. "You're not exactly a murderer? Stiles, what does that mean?"

He brushed my question off as Scott continued, "Yeah, but you did, you two did see it kill somebody, which is probably why it tried to kill you, and it probably won't stop until you're dead."

I frowned. "Thanks, Scott. I love thinking about my impending death."

Stiles nodded in agreement. "You know, sometimes I really begin to question this "friendship.""

I rolled my eyes at their idiocy. The three of us walk to Economics, and I sat down behind Stiles while Scott sat next to him. Jackson slid into the empty seat behind Scott. "Hey, testicle left and right. Smart one. What the hell is a kanima?"

Coach stood up and faced the class. "Alright, listen up. A quick warning before we begin our review. Some of you, like McCall, might want to start their own study groups, because tomorrow's midterm is so profoundly difficult, I'm not even sure I could pass it. Okay, I need a volunteer at the board to answer the first question. Who's got it, huh? Come on, let's go, buddy."

"Paralyzed from the neck down," Jackson hissed. "Do you have any idea what that feels like?"

Stiles nodded. "I'm familiar with the sensation."

Scott frowned a moment. "Wait. Why would Derek test you? Why would he think that it's you?"

"How should I know?" Jackson retorted.

"Unless, are they thinking it could be Lydia?" I asked as I took a moment to think.

Jackson shrugged as he glanced to me. "I don't know, all I heard was her name and something about Chemistry."

"Jackson!" Coach called. "Do you have something you want to share with the rest of the class?"

Jackson thought for a second before turning to Coach. "Um, just as an undying admiration for my--my coach."