Chapter 42

Vanessa

As we reached the quad, the cool breeze wrapped around us as it rustled the trees and grass. It carried an earthy scent to it that left me in a comfortable peace. We were silent as we took our seats on the hard bench; that was already working on numbing my ass. I was the first to break the silence.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" I asked turning towards him

"Look, I know we've been in a tough spot lately, but I want to end this little break that we're on. I'm tired of seeing you all over guys."

"Break? What break? Wasn't it clear that we were over? I don't want Bianca's sloppy seconds. Not to mention it sounds like you're calling me a slut; who are these guys I'm hanging all over?"

"Oh come on, Vanessa, don't give me that bullshit! Kayden and Dylan follow you around like lost puppies. It didn't take you any time at all to drop me!"

"News flash, Emmett, you're not the victim here! Instead of coming to me and talking our relationship out, you went straight to Bianca!"

"I went to her for the same reason I started fucking her behind your back! Maybe if you gave out; even if it were just a little we wouldn't be in this position!" Emmett roared

I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked to the clouds. I knew he had been with her, but it still hurt to hear it. I thought I would have been enough. Apparently, that wasn't the case. The rage set in and coursed through my veins, as did a flow of magic. It was electrifying, and it filled me with a sense of pleasure as I let my rage fuel the magic inside of me, but not only was their rage I was so hurt.

Gone was the considerably beautiful day, as the dark clouds filled the sky. The air thumped around us as if it had a beating heart, and sent trees swaying uncontrollably. Lightning shot out in blindingly white jags that forked and branched off of the main strike. The strike left a burning smell as it lashed against a tree to the left of us, startling Emmett.

"Ahh!"

I was too far gone in the magic to pay attention to Emmett's screams. I was simply too fascinated by what was unfolding before me. Was I really doing this? It still seemed impossible. I smiled as I coaxed the air into blowing a bit harder and the water to come and play with its translucent raindrops. My smile deepened as they whispered to me excitedly.

"Vanessa, move! You'll get hurt!" I heard Emmett yell faintly.

I chuckled they wouldn't hurt me; they were having too much fun. Thunder boomed in the distance that caused an odd vibration in the air. The vibration rattled my bones and sent me sprawled across the ground. The minute my body made an impact with the ground I heard my name being called

"Vanessa!" It sounded like Dylan and Kayden but with all the background noise; it was hard to tell.

And then the darkness consumed me.

I woke up to Kayden and Dylan hovering over me; worry etched into their faces.

"What the hell happened out there, Nessa?" Dylan asked, scanning my body for any injuries.

"I don't even know," I said, placing my hand over my forehead.

There was no way I could tell them I let my magic run wild. Not that I knew what happened entirely, myself.

"Are you sure you're okay? Are you going to be up to going to the game and dinner?" Kayden asked.

"I feel a lot better already. I'll be fine."

Dylan dropped us off at my house and hesitated before leaving.

I poked my head through the window. "What's wrong?"

Dylan scrunched his nose. "I can't believe I actually drove him to your house."

I chuckled, and Dylan pouted. This only fueled my laughter as I leaned in and swiped at his bottom lip.

"What's with that face?"

"I'm jealous!" Dylan whined.

He was so fucking cute sometimes.

Dylan got an impatient text from Rafe, and I blew him a kiss as he drove off.