Chapter 64

Dylan

Once we finished telling them everything, Vanessa's mom broke into tears. Aiden sighed.

"So I'm guessing that you guys bit her on instinct, right?"

"We're such fucking idiots, we never meant for this to happen! It's all our fault!"

"While you guys are fucking idiots, it's not your fault. I already know whose fault it is."

"This is exactly why I didn't want her practicing magic! The same thing that happened to your family is happening to my baby girl!" Vanessa's mom paced in front of us.

"What are we missing? Who's responsible for this?" I asked.

"Astrazia. Astrazia is an organization of people, both human and supernatural that wish to intertwine the magic from dead witches to their own Essence."

So someone had deliberately hurt my mate. I growled low in my throat.

"We're going to raise hell for this, right?" Kayden asked baring his fangs, and for once, I agreed with him a hundred percent.

Someone had to die for this.

"Only if you two are game. There's no way I'm going to let someone hurt my baby girl and get away with it." Aiden smirked.

Like he even had to ask. Vanessa let out a feral scream and we all flinched. It hurt to hear that she was in so much pain. She didn't even sound human. Aiden snapped into serious mode and slid a giant book towards Kai. He held his hands over Vanessa's body and told Kai to do the same.

"You know what to do?"

Kai nodded and started mumbling something I was incapable of understanding. A glowing green light appeared above Vanessa's heart and began stretching over her body. Once it covered her entire body, it seemed to solidify as it morphed into a rectangular box. It almost looked like an oversized incubator.

"What does this do?" Kayden asked

"It will keep her fever down and try to heal any damage done in her body," Aiden replied

He and Kai both removed their hands.

"The magic in her blood is probably the only thing that is keeping her alive."

The realization hit me, and it hit me hard. If whatever spell Aiden and Kai placed over Vanessa failed, then she would die. Kayden and I would both lose her, and I don't think I could handle that. Living life without your mate was unimaginable. The pain becomes even worse if you've come in contact with your mate, just to lose them. It is said that if you are blessed by the moon, then you could be granted a second mate, but that was a mere myth. Not like I'd want anyone other than Vanessa anyway. I let out a low curse...We really effed shit up, didn't we? All I've ever wanted to do was love and protect her, even before I had met her. If Vanessa was really Kayden's mate as well, then I know he feels the same. I could only pray to the gods in the hope of Vanessa recovering.