Chapter 44

Vanessa

Dylan and Kayden glared at the boys before shrugging. After we all talked some more Dylan threw his car keys to Rafe, and we parted ways with everyone.

"I see you're more comfortable separating from your car," I commented as I drove home.

Dylan shrugged with a slight smile on his face. "As of right now, Rafe is the only one allowed to drive my car."

I laughed and shook my head. The streets blurred past us and left me deep in thought. When we reached my house, no one made any moves to get out

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Well, this dinner is with your parents, right?" Kayden asked.

"Is that a problem?"

I rolled my bottom lip into my mouth. Were they starting to have second thoughts?

"What if they don't like us?" Dylan asked.

I burst into laughter. Pfft. That was such a silly thing to be worried about.

"Don't worry about it; they'll love you both," I said, slipping out of the car.

Mmmh... As soon as I opened the door, I could smell Mama's cooking. I'm pretty sure I smell eggplant parmesan.

"Mama, Papa, I brought friends over for dinner!" I called out.

"Bring them on in!" my mom called back.

When we walked into the dining room; which was connected to the kitchen; my dad narrowed his eyes at the boys. I bent down to kiss him on the cheek and whispered to him

"Papa, be nice, please."

Dad feigned innocence; then he smirked and nodded silently.

"This is Kayden and Dylan," I said, introducing them.

My dad raised his eyebrows but didn't say anything. I hung my coat up before taking my seat. The boys both greeted my parents and took seats on either side of me. Well, so far, so good. I can't guarantee that my dad was going to behave all night.

"Bebé, están calientes! Usted no me dijiste que estabas rodeado de ojos dulces! ¿Los has besado ya? " (Baby, they're hot! You did not tell me you were surrounded by eye-candy! Have you kissed them yet?) my mom asked.

"Mama para!" (Mama, stop!") I said blushing. My mother, oddly enough, didn't have any qualms about me kissing the guys. My mom clicked her tongue impatiently.

"Bueno, ¿verdad?" (Well, have you?)

I sighed. "Sí," I said glancing at Dylan and Kayden.

My mom sent a wink my way causing me to blush harder.

"Do they do this a lot?" I heard Dylan ask my dad.

"You get used to it." My dad replied with a shrug.

Dinner went on with light conversation. My dad was hurling questions at Dylan and Kayden.

"Do you know what college you want to get into?"

Both boys stated that they weren't positive, but were keeping an open mind for other options.

"What about work?"

They both planned to work under their fathers. Kayden would start getting ready to take over his father's position as CEO of his company. Dylan would take over his father's car repair shop and help his mother book talent for her art exhibits.

"Babe, stop badgering them with questions." My mom said, nudging my dad.

"Okay, one more question."

"Do either of you have intentions of hurting my daughter?"

I sighed. I knew this was coming sooner or later.

"Sir, we would never do anything to hurt Vanessa," Kayden replied, and Dylan nodded in agreement.

"Heard that one before." My dad muttered.

"Yea, well Emmett was a piece of shit." Dylan and Kayden stated casually.

They whipped their heads around to face each other and stared wide-eyed, but before they could stutter out an apology, my dad roared out a throaty laugh.

"I like you guys already."

The table erupted in laughter as they let out a relieved sigh. I was glad that my dad approved of them both and that my parent's approval meant so much to them.

After dinner, I walked them to the door. They both wrapped me in tight hugs before saying goodbye. I smiled. Tonight had been successful. I walked into the living room and plopped onto the couch next to my dad. Once I sat next to him, I let the memories of what happened earlier flood over me.

"Okay, what's wrong?"

"Daddy, I screwed up." My voice cracked.

My dad pulled me into a hug, and the tears started to flow. This was the first time that I was scared of the concept of magic. What would I have done if I had hurt someone? What I had done was so reckless, and I didn't know what to do about it.

After telling dad what happened, my tears slowed as my dad nodded in understanding.

"We'll start training your control of magic."

I sighed in relief and fell into a deep sleep in my father's arms

Vote. Comment. Enjoy! :D