Tiger to Kitten

It is a known fact by Hima I believe that Spain treated all his other colonies like crap and Romano got special treatment.

I imagine Spain having high expectations for all of his colonies in Latin America, Asia, the Caribbean, etc. He often beat his colonies as a form of discipline. He was as well verbally abusive to his colonies especially those he deemed as failures (those who didn't have gold, silver, or any valuable items to enrichen himself and his state). So those who lacked in riches he pushed them to be smart in liberal arts and master certain hobbies like drawing, singing, painting, dancing, playing an instrument, master of tactics, business planning, etc.

He deemed the most "successful" colonies who he considered his favorites were Mexico and Peru since they provided him with a lot of valuables.

Because of his abuse and high expectations, most of his colonies hate him for his cruel treatment that they were exposed to when they were children. Most of the colonies now don't really respect Spain and don't take him seriously.

They also believe his now laid-back and somewhat lazy behavior bothers them as they find it weird for Spain to act like that.

Once at the meeting Mexico saw him talking to France with such a happy and laid-back aura. Romano saw him and asked what was the dumb look on his face and he replied,

"I never thought I'd see the day where Spain actually smiles. It's so freaky."