2

Me and Lane were standing by Rory while she cleans out her locker. "And we get to wear uniforms. No more having people check you out to see what jeans you're wearing cause everyone's dressed alike in boring clothes and just there to learn" Rory said but I wasn't really paying attention, "Okay, there's academic-minded and then there's Amish" Lane said as we start walking down the hall I was holding one of Rory's boxes full of books.

"Funny" Rory said "Thank you! So I told my mom you're changing schools" Lane said "Was she thrilled?" I asked "The party's on Friday. I gotta go. I have to have a pre-hayride cup of tea with a future doctor" Lane said "Oh wait Lane can I come Friday?" She just laughed and Rory hit my arm. "How do I look? Korean?" Lane said "Spitting image" Rory said "Good bye" Lane said walking away "Bye" Rory and I called out at the same time.

I walked outside the school and saw Kat waiting "Hey Kitkat" I say "hey Lexi lou" He says walking up to me "so do you have plans this weekend?" Kat asks as we walk "not that I know of" I say "well wanna go see a movie Saturday?" she asks "of course I'd love to" I say. We then separate and I walk to Luke's to work.

I was at Luke's Mom and Rory were sitting at a table and mom told me to come over, I was working. "Luke my shift is done" I yell and put my apron up and go sit by mom "So, you were late getting home tonight" Mom said "Yeah, I went to the library." Rory said. "Oh. Oh, I forgot to tell you two, we're having dinner with your grandparents tomorrow night." Mom said.

"We are?" me and Rory asked at the same time "yes" mom said "But it's September" Rory said "So?" mom asked "So what holiday's in September?" I asked "Look, it's not a holiday thing. It's just dinner, okay?" Mom said I could tell she was hiding something "Fine" I said "sorry" Rory said Luke brought food out and put it in front of mom and Rory "Red meat can kill you. Enjoy" Luke said I laughed.

"So, I finished hemming your skirt today" Mom said Rory just stayed silent "A grunt of acknowledgment might be nice" She said " I don't understand why we're going to dinner tomorrow night." I said "I mean, what if we had plans? You didn't even ask us" Rory said "Well, if you girls had plans I would have known." Mom said "She is right" I said "How?" Rory asked "Well, you would have told me." mom said.

"I don't tell you everything. I have my own things" Rory said "yeah you do" I said in a sarcastic tone "Fine, you have things" Mom said "That's right. I have things." Rory said "Rory relax please" I said "What the hell is wrong with you?" Mom asked Rory "I'm not sure I want to go to Chilton" Rory said "What/why?" Mom and I said at the same time "The timing is just really bad" Rory said and at that moment I realized it was about Dean.

"The timing is bad?" Mom asked "And the bus ride to and from Hartford, it's like thirty minutes each way" Rory said "I can't believe what I'm hearing" Mom said "Plus, I don't think we should be spending that money right now. I mean, I know Chilton's got to be costing you a lot and I don't really wanna leave Alex at school by herself" Rory said "Oh, you have no idea" Mom said "All of your money should be going toward buying an inn with Sookie" Rory said "What about college? What about Harvard?" Mom asked.

"We don't know that I can't get into Harvard if I stay where I am" Rory said "Rory come on you have wanted to go to Chilton forever stop you know you want to" I said "Okay, enough. Enough of the crazy talk, okay? I appreciate your concern but I have this covered" Mom said "I still don't want to go" Rory said "Why?" mom asked "Because I don't" Rory said "I have to get out of here" Mom said and stood up to leave.

"We have to pay first" Rory said Mom dropped money on the table and walked out I looked to Luke and he nodded his head for me to go.

I left and ran to catch up I did just in time we walked past Miss Patty's "One-two-three. One-two-three. One-two-three. It's a waltz, ladies. Susie, do you have to tinkle? Then uncross your legs, darling. Oh, Rory good. I think I found a job for your male friend" Miss Patty said "What male friend?" mom asked.

"They need a stock boy at the supermarket. I already talked to Taylor Doose about him. You just send him around tomorrow." Miss Patty said "Okay, thanks" Rory said trying to get away as quick as possible "What male friend?" Mom asked again "Oh ,he's very cute. You have good taste so who is he?" Miss Patty asked "No ones Miss Patty he is an old friend of Kat's" I said and Miss Patty turned back to the class Rory took off really quick and I tried to follow but Mom grabbed my arm. "Oh, you're gonna have to walk faster than that. You're gonna have to turn into friggin' Flo Jo to get away from me" Mom said.

We got back to the house and Rory walked in quick and went to the Kitchen I left to go up to my room. After a while I heard a knock on my door "Come in" I said and Rory walked in my room "Hey I wanted to thank you for trying to save me back with Miss Patty" "Hey what are sisters for but really do you like him?" "I mean a little he's really sweet and"

"and?" "Kind of cute" Rory finished "Well if you need when you leave to go to Chilton me and Lane can probably spy on him for you" I said "That would be very interesting" She said I pulled her in to a hug and she hugged back "Night Alex love you" Rory said puling away and standing up to leave "night Rory love ya to" I said and Rory walked out.