24

We were sitting at a table at the Inn listening to a very depressing song. I had my head on the table about to fall asleep when mom turned the song off. "Sookie, you've gotta be kidding," Mom says "What?" Sookie asks "You cannot walk down the aisle to that" Mom says "Why?" Sookie asks "It's depressing," Mom says "It's Ella" Sookie argues "It's morbid" I add sighing.

"It's a classic song," Sookie says "A classic song with lyrics about a woman who cant make her relationship work, whose life is filled with emptiness and regret and pain" Mom argues "Oh, who listens to the lyrics?" Sookie asks "Anybody not hanging out with Annie Sullivan by the water pump," Mom says causing me to chuckle. "What are these?" Rory asks "Oh, those are some alternative songs, but I really like this one the best," Sookie says "Alternative songs, good. Let's see. Hey, Jude" Mom says.

"Paul wrote it for Julian to cheer him up," Sookie says "Seasons in the Sun?" I question "Oh, a sentimental favorite." Sookie says "Cats in the Cradle?" Mom questions "Oh, it makes you re-examine your priorities," Sookie says "Don't Cry Out Loud? Sookie, do you even like Jackson?" Mom asks then she and Michel start a conversation. "I'll tell you what, Sookie. How about Lane, Alex, and I come up with a few more suggestions for you?" Rory asks "Still melodic, but not quite as Girl, Interrupted" I add smiling.

"All right, fine" Sookie agrees and I smile at Rory. "Great. Michel, how's the RSVP list coming?" Mom asks "Well, I must say this has been especially challenging for me. I mean, when you are talking about a wedding with up to forty people all living within a five-mile radius, how can one person be expected to keep track of all of that?" Michel says "Just an answer will do," Mom says "I mean, it got a little hairy there for a moment - I almost had to use the second sheet of paper, you know," Michel says "You know, I'm not gonna let you annoy me out of making you handle this" Mom says.

"Oh, well see," Michel says walking away "Hey, my cousin Carl canceled so I have two empty seats. Anyone else you wanna invite?" Sookie asks "I've got Lane, I've got Dean, I'm good," Rory says and Sookie looks at me "I have Kat I'm good too" I smile.

 "What about Emily and Richard?" Sookie asks "Emily and Richard who?" Mom questions "Your Emily and Richard." Sookie says "Oh, Sookie, you are way too sweet" mom says "What? She went to all that trouble to help me plan the first phase of the wedding" Sookie says "The crazy phase of the wedding" I laugh at the end, Mom nods pointing at me.

"It was still sweet and I appreciated it. I mean, if it wasn't for your mother, I never would've settled on the color pink" Sookie says "Why is that?" Mom asks "Well, I wanted yellow and she said no," Sookie says "Oh, with logic like that" Mom says.

 "Come on, just ask her. I want you to" Sookie asks "Okay, I'll ask her" Mom finally agrees "Good" Sookie says and goes to start the song again "What are you doing?" I ask "It gets happier the second time you hear it" Sookie says I groan and lay my head back down "Huh? Snappier, isn't it?" Sookie asks.

~Day's Later~

I was sitting on my bed reading the letter I just got from Jake. It has only been a month but I miss him like crazy. I decide to sit and write my next letter for him; After I finished writing I go to meet Mom and Rory outside the Doctors office where Rory is getting her cast off.

I walk to the Dr. Office after mailing my letter to Jake. Once they walked out I saw Dad with them Rory smiles when she sees me and runs up and shows me her arm "Aww it looks soo small and so boring now that the cast is gone" I say and rolls her eyes but smiles "that's what mom said" Rory says and we walk off with mom and dad.

"So where to next?" Dad asks "Um, actually, I have to get home. I have to review my campaign platform" Rory says "Campaign platform?" Dad questions "Yes, our little Hilary Clinton here is running for student body vice president," Mom says "Wow," Dad says "Elections are on Friday, but I can honestly say that I'm very torn about which way I want it to go," Rory says "Alex and I spent four hours making picture buttons. You wanna win" Mom says.

"But if I win then I have to be vice president next year. Plus, I'll have to spend my summer in Washington for some junior leadership program, which means six straight weeks of me and Paris together in a dorm room" Rory says "Hey, how about this? I'll come back here on Thursday night and I'll take you guys to dinner, and then well break into Chilton and tamper with some votes" dad says.

"We can't," I say "Thursdays Sookie's rehearsal dinner," mom says "Oh well, I guess you'll just have to put your trust in a democratic system. Good luck with that" Dad says "But if you're gonna be in the area Thursday night, you can come with us to the dinner" Mom says "But it's Sookie's rehearsal dinner" Dad says "Oh, she would love it. She's cooking for a thousand. It'll be fun" Mom says.

"Yeah, I'm bringing Dean and Alex will be there with a friend of hers," Rory says "I mean, if you can't do it, then. . ." Mom starts but dad cuts her off "What time?" Dad asks "Seven-thirty," I say "I'm there," dad says "That's great. I'll tell her" Mom smiles.