18

A lot has happened in this past few months Mom got engaged, Then broke it off with Max, We went to Harvard, Rory was presented to society, and now here we are two months until I graduate high school and am going to Juilliard with Kat to learn more about dance and performing. Maybe also work on my singing and acting and maybe become a triple threat performer but teach performing and start a Musical Theatre program at the High school or just work for Miss Patty.

I was working at Luke's right now serving people when I see mom and Rory walking this way on the side walk with someone I haven't seen in a long time. I put everything down and run out to them "Mia!" I yell and hug her "oh Alex!" She says and hugs me "why didn't any of you call?" I ask looking at them "because we knew you would either be working or would be busy with Jake" Rory says smirking at the last part. "Well I would have made time" I say and we walk back to the diner I walk over and grab three mugs and set them at the table.

Luke grabs the coffee pot and hands it to me, I walk over and pour coffee in the cups and walk over to some else's table. "Oh please, forget it. You weren't exactly a talkative boy yourself when you were his age" Mia says "That's right, you knew Luke as a boy" Mom says "I can't imagine Luke as a boy" Rory says "Can we change the subject?" Luke asks "He would help people carry groceries home" Mia says I smile a little at that "Oh, how very Boy Scout-y of you" I say walking past them.

"For a quarter a bag" Mia adds "Oh, how very John Birch Society of you" Mom says "He was never without his skateboard for a time" Mia says "Were you any good?" Mom asks "I could hold my own." Luke says "And there was that year you wore the same shirt everywhere you went" Mia says.

"I don't remember that" Luke says but I can tell he is lying "Must have been something flannel" Mom says "No, it was from that TV show. That famous one" Mia says "It's not important" Luke says "Star Trek, that's it!" Mia says I look over at them and start laughing "Oh my god, oh my god!" Mom yells "Stop it" Luke says "You were a Trekkie?" I ask.

"I was not a Trekkie" Luke says "Uh uh, I do believe that denying you were a Trekkie is a violation of the prime directive" Mom says "Indubitably captain" I say "It was a gift from my aunt, I wore it to make her happy" Luke says, I roll my eyes "I've never wanted to make any aunt of mine that happy" Mom says.

"Did I say something I shouldn't have?" Mia asks "Oh no Mia, that's okay. I just have to cancel everything I have scheduled for the next three months 'cause I'll still be laughing my butt off" Mom says, I look at her with a fake hurt expression "Now now mother you can't miss my graduation" I say "fine but I will still be making fun of him for it" mom says smirking a little.

I roll my eyes and get back to work. After Taylor comes in then leaves after talking with Luke I go on my break and sit with Mom, Rory, and Mia, "Hey, do you realize it was fifteen years ago almost to the day?" Mia asks Mom "Yes it was" Mom says "What was?" Rory and I ask at the same time "To the day when this skinny little teenage girl showed up at the inn. She had these two tiny little things in her arms" Mia says

"Two little things named Rory and Alex" Mom says pinching mine and Rory's cheeks "Okay, no physical reenactments" Rory says pulling her hands off our face's "You marched up to me, looked me right in the eye and said, 'I'm here for a job. Any job.'" Mia says "Well, IBM had turned me down for the CEO slot, so I was desperate" Mom says "Work experience none, recommendations none, skills" Mia starts but mom finishes "Besides flawlessly applying mascara in a moving car, none" mom says.

"Not one thing to recommend hiring her. Just that how do I put it and remain a lady that 'who cares' look in her eyes, so I gave her any job. The other maids hated you" Mia says "Yeah, well they were all so slow" mom says "You were special" Mia says "Mia, why don't you move back here?" I ask "Yeah We miss you" Rory says.

"Or at least visit more? You used to check in. You never come at all" Mom says "I don't have to. You've made me redundant" Mia says "I have not" mom says "Don't be humble. The inn is beyond covered. It's never run this well or been this successful. That inn is like your place now. Without you I wouldn't know what to do, I'd be lost" Mia says "Lost, yeah" Mom says "Yeah" Rory and I say at the same time "You look sad now, why?" Mia asks "Oh, nothing" Mom says.

Right now we were headed to Luke's then to the town meeting I was walking with Mia, Mom, Rory, and Jake. Jake and I had our hand intertwined and could hear Mia and Mom talking about how I have grown up and that I need to stop growing when Rory points out that we are gonna be late. "We're not late" Mom says "The last time we were late, Taylor said that there would be consequences" Rory says "He did not. He said there would be severe consequences" I say "Mia, what time is it? Are we late?" Rory asks.

"I hope so" Mia says "Mia!" Mom says "I'm sorry, but it's been two years since I've gotten to go to a town meeting and I want some controversy" Mia says causing me to laugh, Once we go to Luke's we saw him closing up "Aha!" Mom yells running up "Geez! Don't sneak up on me like that" Luke says "Yeah, boy, I was lucky you had your phasers on stun, huh?" Mom says "Well, at least we're not late. Luke's never late" Rory says "Actually, we're 2 minutes early" Luke says.

"Ha! We should get a prize for being on time"I say "Hey Luke, let's go back to the diner and get some pie as our reward for being on time" Mom says "Then you'd be late" Luke says "A funny conundrum, but I want pie" Mom says I nod my head pointing at her "Me too" I say "You're harassing me now" Luke says

"I'm not harassing you. We're your groupies. Oh Luke, you're so dreamy, be my guy!" Mom says but uses a high voice at the end "No, be my guy!" Rory says in a high voice then they both look at me "hey I have a guy right here" I say patting Jake's shoulder

"I'm bringing up the need for more police protection at this thing" Luke says. We walk in to Miss Patty's and see the meeting has already started "I think we're late" Mia says "What's going on here?" Luke asks "Uh, nothing" Taylor says, We sit down and I zone ut only because I have been tired and have had a lot on my mind.

After The Meeting Jake left to go home and do some studying, We were walking out with Mia and Mom talking. "Well, I must say that was quite exciting" Mia says "A little disturbing. I think the whole town needs a field trip" I say "Do you think Luke's okay?" Rory asks "I think he will be. He just needs to cool off a little" Mom says "I'm gonna go check on Dean He's been cleaning the sidewalk all day" Rory says.

"Good idea" Mom says "There's nothing like your face on his to make the cleaning process go faster" I say "they're all yours Mia" Rory says "I'll take them" Mia says wrapping an arm around mine and mom's shoulders "Bye hon" Mom says to Rory. "I should Head home I have to come up with new dance for my class Monday" I say "Okay See you at home?" Mom asks "yeah Bye Mia" I say hugging her "Bye Alex" Mia says I then turn to mom and kiss her cheek and leave.