-seventeen-

All the transfers were on a run around the city as part of their physical training. Anna was a pretty fast runner and an overall fit girl, which meant she easily kept up with Tobias who lead the group. The older boy would occasionally smile at the girl, proud of her and the way she was fitting into Dauntless already. They hadn't had a chance to properly talk since she had transferred but they both really wanted to soon.

By the time the Four came to a stop, the majority of the group were panting and covered in sweat, even Four himself.

"Hey, what have you got?" Four asked one of the Dauntless men, they had just ran up to.

"Factionless." He replied bluntly, "Not doing anything."

"Check it out, Stiff. That's gonna be you're new family," Annabelle heard Peter whisper to Tris who stood just in front of her.

"Wipe your mouth, Peter, there's a bit of bullshit around your lips," Annabelle retorted, pushing the ex Candor out of the way so she could stand next to Tris.

Peter pulled a face at the dark haired girl, before yanking her arm back, so he could whisper in her ear, "I don't know why you defend her Belle, you know I'm right," He began quietly, "So when you finally admit that to yourself, you know where to find me," He let her go and pushed her forward, then walking to Molly and Drew who were staring at the whole situation.

"Don't listen to him Tris, he brings others down so they don't concentrate on his insecurities," Annabelle said, smiling at her friend, who only gave a small smile in return before going back to staring at the factionless in fear.

***

Physical combat was next up and Annabelle had no idea her strengths and weaknesses in a fist fight, after all she had never been in one. The thought of Tobias watching her possibly fail in a fight made her nervous especially since she always talked about wanting to help him against his father.

There was an uneven number of non-Dauntless born imitates, so Tobias decided to pair up with Annabelle, in order to practise their form of punching and blocking. The two of them did the exercise back and forth in silence.

"I can practically feel your nerves radiating off you," Four said, in a hushed tone to the girl who was once his best friend. "What's wrong?"

Annabelle gulped, as the two continued the exercise, however the stare of her instructor made it hard for the girl to concentrate. "What if I lose a fight?" She finally said, opening up to the boy she would've told everything to a couple years ago.

Four's eyebrows furrowed but he answered her question, "Well it'll affect your score, but you'll learn from it and do better next time,"

"I don't care about my score," Annabelle said a little louder than the hushed volume they'd previously been speaking at. "What would you think if I lost a fight?"

"I don't know what you mean, Annabelle," He replied, his eyebrows furrowed even more. He didn't understand why she would care what he thought if she lost. He wouldn't care, he'd be there for her to win the next one.

"I don't want you to think that everything I said, a couple years ago was a joke," She went back to her hushed voice, she knew it wouldn't be good if people found out they previously knew each other, especially Eric who was walking around not to far away, watching all the other initiates.

At this Tobias' eyes softened as they looked down at the dark haired girl. He gave a light smile before saying "Trust me, even if you lose a fight, I'll still believe you'll go down there and give him a good punch,"

The words made Annabelle smile, it warmed her heart that he remembered exactly what she said the first time they met, well the first time she snuck into his house. The two continued their exercise, Annabelle much more calm now, and the positive energy still surrounded the both of them. That was until Eric came up to where both Annabelle and Four stood calling the latter over.

"Ready for some real fighting?" Eric said, deliberately loud so Annabelle could hear, and when her eyes widened, he knew she did.

"Not even close," Four replied to the heavily tattooed Dauntless leader, but Eric didn't care about what he said as he walked closer to Annabelle, smirking at her. He abruptly stopped, shouting "First jumper!"

Annabelle pursed her lips and looked over at Tris who had just stopped what she was doing with Christina. Eric followed her gaze and smirked, Annabelle didn't know what he was doing, but was immediately angered that he was amused.

"Last jumper!" Eric yelled again, when everyone began walking towards the ring that Annabelle had just walked off of. Molly Atwood, a friend of Peter's began walking forward, mush to Annabelle's and Tris' dismay. This wasn't going to end well.