-twenty one-

Annabelle didn't know how many fights she had left to complete before the first stage of initiation was complete, and winning the past two didn't stop her from waking up early hours of the morning and venturing to the training room where she practised until the sun rose. Eric had only passed by once this time, giving her a quick pointer before leaving, the situation still feeling unreal to the girl, even though she appreciated it a lot.

When she walked back into the dormitory she was surprised to see everybody already awake. Annabelle groaned internally, knowing she must've stayed out later than she had intended to.

Of course, there was a field trip today, out to the fence that surrounded the city of Chicago they lived in. She wasn't there when Eric explained what it was, so took the word of Christina, who had tried to tell her as much of Eric's exact words as she could remember, which turns out wasn't a lot.

As she entered the shared dormitory, eyes were on her, she ignored the majority of them as she made her way to her bed, close to Tris' and Christina's.

"Where were you?" Tris asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Her voice was laced with concern for her friend, wondering if she'd been upset.

"I couldn't sleep," Annabelle replied, giving a tight lipped smile to Tris and Christina who was listening in. They both nodded in reply, they understood, hell every initiate understood.

"Everyone knows you sneak off every night for a cry, Stiff," A voice she recognised all too well said, Annabelle only rolled her eyes in response, not giving Peter the satisfaction of a verbal response.  She didn't understand that boy, one minute her was walking with her to training, making jokes in a civil manner, the next he was insulting her for everyone one to hear.

***

"As Dauntless, we fight to protect every life inside the fence, without fail." Tobias stood at the front of the carriage as the initiates looked at him and listened, leaning against the sides of the train carriage themselves. "That's why we train you the way we do. To teach you not to give up,"

Annabelle wondered why Tobias was defending the new rules set up for Dauntless initiation, ones that weren't there only two years prior when he had been an initiate. She knew he didn't agree with Eric, so maybe he was trying to convince himself as well as the group. Anna hadn't had doubts about the way they were trained, she hadn't really expected anything less when she picked the faction.

"And to find out who has what it takes," Now that made more sense to Annabelle. She understood they couldn't just let anyone into their faction, especially if they didn't have the qualities needed to strive and be successful in Dauntless. 

As the train continued to take the group of initiates and their instructor to the outskirts of the city and the wall, Annabelle conversed in idle chit chat discussing what was beyond the wall and why it needed guarding.

"Monsters," Christina said to Tris, wiggling her fingers as Tris questioned what was beyond the Amity farms. Tris rolled her eyes, as Annabelle laughed lightly. For all they know, Christina could've been correct.

"We didn't even have guards near the fence until 5 years ago," Will spoke, "Remember when Dauntless police used to patrol the factionless sector?"

"Yes," Tris answered, Annabelle nodding alongside her.

"Oh right," He said, "I bet you two saw them all the time,"

"Why would you say that?" Tris asked harshly, causing Annabelle to turn to the girl with furrowed eyebrows.

"You walked past the factionless sector to get to school right?" Will answered.

Christina retorted something that Annabelle didn't fully hear as she looked outside to see them nearing the the wall, she could end up working at in the future, depending how she did in her initiation.

The train came to a stop and they all piled off, Tobias leading them to the fence where Annabelle saw some Dauntless guns carrying guns.

When they reached the wall Four began to explain how if they came below top 5 in initiation they'd end up on patrol there, and that the people who worked there claimed patrol the fence and outside it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

"What rank were you?" Peter asked Four. Annabelle turned to him also, she didn't expect him to answer but that didn't mean she wasn't curious.

"I was first,"

"And you chose to do this?" Peter's eyes widened, Annabelle looked at them the green prominent in the sun. He almost looked innocent.

"Why didn't you get a government job?" Annabelle asked, turning away from Peter and Tobias. Whose eyes did the same, they softened as they looked from the boy to the girl he'd know for years.

"I didn't want one," He said to her, not matter how hard he tried for his voice to be flat and harsh, it wasn't.

Annabelle followed Four up to the gate, looking around she saw Tris talking to an Amity boy, Anna didn't recognise him but assumed he must've been an Abnegation transfer like the two girls.

"Do you not know him?" Four whispers to Annabelle, as he also looked at Tris and the now Amity boy, who seemed to be getting harassed my one of Peter's followers - Molly.

"I didn't have any friends in Abnegation." Annabelle said, her voice just as quiet as his. "I wasn't even friends with Tris until the first day in Dauntless."

"You had me?" He replied, his voice wary as if he questioned whether Annabelle ever thought of him as a friend, or if she still did. After all they hadn't seen each other in two years, he wouldn't have been surprised if she had grown not to like him, since he left.

Annabelle nodded her head in agreement, as if answering his question, "I still do," She assured him, giving him a hearty smile. She wholeheartedly still considered Tobias to be one of her closest friends, however,  just like him, she had her doubt that he didn't consider her that anymore - or ever.

Annabelle only hoped, that after initiation and Annabelle became a Dauntless member (she had her fingers crossed) that her and Tobias would become as close as they once were. That the fact they wouldn't be instructor and instructed any longer would allow them to enjoy the time and the rest of their lives they could have being best friends.

Four stepped back from the fence after talking to Annabelle and a Dauntless guard, going to question Tris on her conversation and give her a little advice on how to win her upcoming fights. This left Annabelle alone, and the one person who always came up to her when she was, was quickly by her side.

"Where do you go at night, Belle?"

"Off for a little cry, Peter." Annabelle began, looking at him with no emotion in her face, "Everyone knows that."

Peter scoffed as the girl walked away, the train arriving yet again indicating it was time to leave.

A/N

Thank you so so much for the support on this book, it really means a lot to me. 3.5k reads is insane! Honestly I thought I was the only one who still read Divergent fics lmao, so when I started this I really debated just not publishing it whatsoever. I was also just going to follow the movie, but I've recently reread the books giving me lots of inspiration to follow them more than the movies as you can probably tell by reading what's written and what will come out next,

I don't know if you can tell, but the Divergent part of this book won't really feature Annabelle having a love interest, it's just her trying to her through initiation and then her new faction trying to brutally kill her ex-faction.

But... in both Insurgent and Allegiant, I do plan on her having a little something something lol. A little enemy to lovers trope is my fave so...

Also I'm planning on putting all three books in this one book, but I don't know if that's gonna be too long?? Since we're like not even far into Divergent and already have loads of chapters??

Let me know what you think about ^^^^ xxx