FOUR

[INGRID’S POV]

I wake up naked the next morning, lying next to Adrian on the ultra large bed. He looks really beautiful in his sleep, his hair fell over his face, his large arm pulled me into a tight cuddle, and the sweet sense of his body gave me life. I kiss him on the lips and get out of the bed. As I head towards the shower, I look at my engagement ring on my finger and smile broadly at it. Is this really me? About to get married to Adrian the hunk? God, I just can’t believe it. I smile all the way to the shower.

Once I’m done having my bath, I head towards the kitchen to make breakfast for both of us, but the dining table already has breakfast on it.

“Good morning, honey.” Adrian hugs me from behind.

“Why did you take the trouble? You really shouldn’t have.”

“I should. Because you’re going to be my wife soon.” Adrian kisses me. He then moves away from me and pulls back one of the chairs for me to sit down.

“Thank you.” I say sweetly, sitting down. Adrian plops down beside me.

“Ingy, when is your free time from work today””

“Uh…” I look up at the ceiling, trying to estimate. “I’ll be free after twelve, I think.”

“How about we go shopping with Susan and Harris? I’m very free today.” He says.

“Shopping for the wedding?” I grin.

“Yes. What do you think?”

“I’ll see what I can do.” I say, smiling at him.

“I’ll be waiting for you. Have a nice day at work.”

      Susan screamed for ten minutes when I told her about my engagement. She put my call on hold to spread the good news to Harris.

“Congratulations, Ingrid.” Susan shrieks. “Looks like we’re gonna have two weddings. How about we have both weddings on the same day?”

“Yes, great idea.”

“Of course. Have you told Sophie about it?”

My face falls on hearing Sophie’s name. “Not yet.” I say.

“Go on and tell her. She’s gonna yell her lungs out.” Susan laughs.

“I’ll let Adrian tell her instead.” I say.

“Why?” Susan asks.

“I can’t explain to you right now, but I just think Adrian is the right person to tell her.”

“Why? What’s up? Are you holding a grudge or something?”

“No, none at all. I’m fine. But I guess I shouldn’t be making all the announcements.”

“Okay, Ingrid. If you say so. Have a nice day at work, no?”

“Thanks, Suze. You too.”

I stop making the phone call when a man walks over to me and sits on one of the stools. His olive skin is evidence that he’s Latino. He has dark, cropped hair, very beautiful bluish-gray eyes, and neatly trimmed stubble. He’s wearing a tight vest that hugs his body, showing traces of his abs, and some really badass tattoos adorn his arms. He’s really attractive, I must admit.

“Hello. What do you want to have?” I ask, gulping and trying not to stare

“Two bottles of beer, please.” He says, pointing at a Heineken bottle. I nod and turn around to get him the drinks. I can feel him staring at me from behind, but I think maybe there’s no other place for him to look. I put the drinks down on the countertop for him.

“How much?”

“Sixty bucks.”
He drops the money on a table with a sigh. I murmur a thank you and pocket the money. I find myself staring at him as he drinks the beer, I watch with interest, his Adam’s apple bobbing in his throat. My cheeks flush as we make eye contact. He raises an eyebrow at me and I look away, pretending to type something on my phone.

For God’s sake, what is wrong with me? I’ve been engaged to the most wonderful man in the world, and here I am, ogling at another. Jesus, Ingrid, concentrate. And, good Lord, are my palms sweaty? What is hap-

“Where did you get that?” a voice, which I must admit is very husky and hot, interrupts my thoughts. I look up, and realize it belongs to the Latino guy. He’s pointing at my ring finger, looking very perplexed.

“What? Oh, the ring. My fiancé got it for me when we got engaged.” I say.

“Listen to me. I need you to return that ring as soon as possible. It’s not a mere ring as you think.” He says, giving me a look of urgency.

I squint. “What?”

“That ring you’re wearing only and only brings destruction. If you don’t return it, you or anyone around you is going to die.”

I’m dumbfounded. “What? Why? How? I don’t understand.”

The Latino guy stands up from his seat. “Please understand and do as I say.”

Before I can open my mouth to utter another word, he’s already gone.

Thoughts? I need them more than ever!! And vote in case you liked it.