SIX

[INGRID'S POV]

I can't help but smile when I get a flashback of Sophie's face while we were doing the shopping. Susan and Harris didn't notice, but Sophie's face was red hot. I feel sorry for her though, I hope she's able to move on.

"Did you tell Sophie about our engagement or Susan did?" I ask Adrian, who's writing names of invitees on the wedding invitation cards.

"I did." He replies.

"Was she mad?" I ask.

"Yes. But she's an adult. She'll be fine."

"Will it be fine if we invite her for the wedding?"

Adrian thinks for a while. "I guess that'll give her a final message that we're now together for life."

"Right." I nod. I look at my engagement ring again, to remind me that Adrian is now mine, and that he loves me. But then, the ring seems to look back at me with a sharp reflection. I frown. The reflection almost blinds me. It makes my eyes water.

"Adrian?"

"Yes, honey."

"Where did you buy this ring?"

"Downtown, from a jewelry shop Harris showed me. Why, what's the problem?"

"Nothing. I just think it's beautiful and too shiny. I like it."

"Are you crying?" Adrian looks critically at me.

"No." I force a smile. "Something just got into my eye. The ring has a strange reflection."

"It does? It's just sapphire. It shouldn't be so sharp. Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine. I just need to wash my face." I go to the bathroom, bury my face into the sink and splash water on my face. I look up at the mirror to stare at my wet face but instead the mirror shows a blue reflection. I rub my eyes to make sure I'm seeing things right. But the reflection is still there. A bright blue, shimmering reflection.

It was as if I was looking at a sea. The ring suddenly seems to tighten around my finger, causing me to moan. I begin to hear soft voices in my head. I can't hear the exact words, but the overlapping of voices is very upsetting. I drop down to the floors, cover my ears and scream.

"Ingy!" Adrian suddenly appears beside me.

"I'm hearing voices, Adrian. The mirror is blue. The ring is hurting my finger too, it's tight." I whine.

Adrian looks up at the mirror. "It's not blue. I'm seeing my own reflection."

"You are?" I ask, awestruck. "It was blue when I looked into it."

"My love, you're just stressed out. Just go to bed, okay?"

I nod. Adrian holds me still, so that I don't stumble while trying to get up. I feel really dizzy.

"If the ring is tight as you say, I'll have it loosened for you." Adrian tells me. I look at my finger and my ring once more. The mirror is no more blue, and the ring feels comfortable now. I can't hear all the strange voices again.

"No, you don't have to do that."

"Are you sure you don't wanna take it off?"

"No, I'm fine. I'll just go to bed, okay. Today was a long day."

Adrian helps me get into bed, covers me with a duvet, cuddles me and strokes my hair gently till I fall asleep. There and then I have a queer dream.