Chapter Forty - Two

Punch.

Kick.

Evade.

Kneel.

Punch.

Hit.

I stop, panting, my eyes glued on Sai. He is just smiling, his lips stretching from ear to ear. He does not say much. He does not talk at all. But avoids and attacks. I jump back as he throws one of his ink attacks at my direction.

"What the heck, Sai." I mumble as I jump away from his Fire based attack. He just smiles once again, before continuing to attack me with full force. "Damn in." I mumble once again, jumping away from yet another attack.

"Don't tire yourselves, Sakura-chan, Sai." Yamato calls over, while sits more comfortably at the shades of tree. I sigh, tilting my head back and chuckling at our new mentor.

"I am not even doing anything." I shrug my shoulders and put out my tongue at Sai. Sai smirks, attacking me once again.

"Why are we after Traitor?" Sai asks with furrowed eyebrows, as he comes to me with intent to kill. That's how we usually train. And he refers to Sasuke as Traitor. "If we are not going to punish him."

"Well..." I chuckle nervously. As time passes, it becomes easier for me to awake all the emotions inside of Sai. But currently, we are stuck at the real meaning of Friendship. "Because he is our friend." I start with soft smile on my lips. I punch the ground, forcing it to shake. Sai jumps away and I start chasing him. "He did not left Village, because he wanted to." I rub my head, reminding myself that I have to visit Uchiha headquarters before going on the mission. "He was kind of forced by Orochimaru." I jump at him, punching him in the face. I hear a loud crack as Sai falls back, creating a large crater.

"Oh, I am sorry." I mumble as I kneel besides him, healing his broken jaw. "I did not mean it to happen." I say nervously, rubbing my head.

"You like him." Sai says, stroking his newly healed jaw gently. "It hurt." He adds with sigh. I shrug my shoulders and sit next to him, my eyes glued on the horizon.

"What do you mean?" I ask without sparing him a glance. In my perspective, it has been more than twenty years, yet, I still can't get over him. No matter what I do, or what he does. It never changes. Sasuke is stuck in my head.

"Traitor." Sai's voice is monotone. "You like him." He states once again. "I have read about it. Your symptoms sit perfectly on liking someone." Sai finishes his small, laconic monologue. I don't say anything, not seeing point in lying to him. But I don't think, I am ready to admit it. "Though...Why?" He asks me again.

"W-Why?" I stutter and look down at my hands. "I-I don't know, honestly." I shrug my shoulders and sigh, putting my head in my hands. "At first, it was a small crush..." I whisper in barely audible voice. "I think I liked his looks, like all the other girls did... Then... I was fascinated with his powers and strength..." I whisper as I bite my lower lip. "Then...Then I started seeing him for who he was, not some mighty, handsome Uchiha. He was a boy, who felt lonely and wanted to become strong, just like me." I whisper again and close my eyes, preventing tears from spilling down. "He... He somehow gave me the sense of security, feeling of protection." I smile at the memories.

"That's why you want to bring him back, Ugly?" Sai tilts his head. I smile at him, opening my eyes. "Because you love him?"

"Maybe." I whisper once again and stand up, dusting myself off. "Come on, Naruto will be here any minute." I help him up and we jog towards Yamato. We sit next to him. Sai is painting, Yamato has his eyes closed, in serenity. While I am staring up at the clouds. I have taken this habit during the war.

***

"Sakura-chan!" I snap my eyes open, just in minute to see Naruto jumping down on me. I chuckle, throwing him away from my body. "I passed, believe it!" He shouts once again. My face breaks into large grin, as I tackle my brother into a tight hug.

"Congrats, Naruto!" I shout back in his ear, chuckling. "So, how was the exam? And where is Kakashi-sensei?"

"Ne, he had to leave for the mission early." Naruto shrugs his shoulders, giving me another smile. "It was hard, believe it! But I passed! Now we have to bring Sasuke back and all three of us will be ANBU!" I chuckle at his antics, but nod my head.

Suddenly, I feel a chakra flare from Tsunade-sama and look at Yamato and Sai, who nod their heads.

"Come on, Naruto." I mumble in low voice. "Tsunade-sama is calling us." I grab his hand and Shunshin away, dread filling my stomach. I already know what the mission would be about.

We appear in Tsunade's office. Kakashi is here, worried. Next to him is standing Gai with his team. I smile at Lee, TenTen and Neji, and they gladly return in. Yamato, Sai and Naruto are behind me.

"What happened?" I ask as soon as I am fully in the room. Tsunade looks at me, then at the paper in her hands and then back to me.

"Gaara has been kidnapped by Akatsuki." I freeze on my spot. "They attacked Suna during night. Kankuro is poisoned and dying." I gulp down, rewinding the formula of antidote in my mind. "Sakura." I look up at her. "You go ahead, you have to manage to save Kankuro." I nod. "Take Yamato and Sai with you, it is your ANBU mission." I nod once again. "Kakashi, Naruto... You two will leave for Suna in two hours." We all nod. "Dismissed." As soon as she says the word, I look at Sai and Yamato.

The three of us have been on missions together. It is true that I and Sai work with Shisui better, but Yamato is like sensei for us. The three of us disappear into the air.

***

"Will she handle the mission?" Kakashi asks as soon as he looks up from the mission paper. Naruto and others look at him confused.

"What do you mean, Kakashi?" Gai asks confused. He looks at the place, where pink haired ANBU stood a minute ago.

"I hope so." Tsunade whispers in low voice and she sighs. "She is the best medic. I could not risk Kankuro's life by not sending her." She explains and rubs her temples. "I just have to hope that she will manage."

"Why would not she be able to handle it. Tsunade-baa-chan?" Naruto asks irritated. What he hated the most is when people deemed him and his friends weak, especially Sakura. He has seen enough of her strength to know that she is not one to be lightly taken.

"Gaara was taken away by Akatsuki, organization for which Itachi left." Kakashi explains, watching as Naruto clenches his fists. After all, because of Itachi, Sasuke left, too. "The members, that took Gaara are Deidara of The Iwa and Sasori of the Red Sand." Kakashi explains calmly. "The reason, Sakura might not be able to handle them is that she encountered them alongside several other members of the Akatsuki and barely managed to survive." Naruto gapes, fear creeping up on his spine.

Sakura-chan nearly died?

"She had nightmares for several weeks." Tsunade continues instead of Kakashi. "I don't want her to break down or lose control while fighting them." She sighs once again. "But...If she tells you that she will be able to handle them... Let her." Kakashi nods and disappears. Others follow him behind.