When you didn't ask for it

It was 3:00am before Amelia fell into a restless sleep, tossing and turning she began to feel the dreaded lull of a nightmare take hold. It was too late to wake up this time. As she slipped down into unconsciousness she felt the usual grip across her throat and whimpered.

Back in Somme she found herself rushing to the aide of screaming men, the nights darkness swallowing them up as she pushed bandages upon bandages on open wounds. How could she be the only one left? Where had they gone? Turning quickly she ran to the far end of the medic tent to a young man whose jaw had been shattered by a bomb.

Gurgling up at her he tried with all his might to talk but she quickly stopped him and asked that he hold on for her. As fast as Amelia possibly could she began to pack his wound and look around wildly for her kit. 

"Ere' love" called a man with a bandage across his eye. Grabbing it as quickly as she could she turned back to her patient to find that he had already gone. Left them all behind in the darkness as he soared towards the light.

Stumbling back she felt the grips of exhaustion wave over her, looking down at her hand she found blood dripping down her fingers tips and on to the floor.  Although she was tired she turned around ready to help someone else to suddenly find the whole tent empty. All that remained where blood stained beds.

Snapping awake she gasped and pulled at her throat, desperately trying to release the grip that wasn't there. A whimper slipped from her throat as she pushed herself out of the bed and over to the water basin. Quickly splashing the cool water against her face she began to steady her breaths.

It was now 5:00am and Amelia knew there was no chance of sleep so she began to get dressed. Taking her time to brush her hair, apply her light make up and dress in her works clothes. Once she was satisfied she slipped on her heels , grabbed her bag and made her way out of the door. The air was freezing and she was suddenly grateful to the warm coat she was wearing. Quickly making her way through the streets she rounded the corner and found herself coming face to face with Thomas Shelby.

Thomas was walking down the streets, head down as he puffed on his cigarette. Dressed in his smart attire Amelia looked straight at him, suddenly curious as to why he was awake too. Instead of acting on her curiosity she tried to go unnoticed. As if he heard her mental struggle he looked up then, his face blank and uninterested.

"Miss Crostwell" he nodded, both of them coming to a stop only a few feet a part.

Looking up at him, even the dim lightening could not hid his piercing ocean blue eyes or the jaw that was chiseled to perfection. Mr Shelby was pale, tall and confident "Good morning Mr Shelby"

Flicking his cigarette on the floor he took another look at her "Are you always up early?" 

"Yes, I like to get a head start" and she started to move forward but he came up in font of her then, blocking her exit.

"Tell me something, why is a girl like you living in a small place like Small Heath?" and he raised an eyebrow at her, his eye's observing every part of her face.

"Well...I work here" she breathed suddenly feeling awkward under his intense girl.

"But you own that big manor..." he trailed off, watching her face turn from innocence to anger in a split second. Taking a step back from him she was able to shake off his control. 

"Yes I do Mr Shelby but as you're probably aware already that place holds nothing for me but bad memories" and she pulled her coat tighter to her body "now, is there anything else you would like an answer to? You and your family seem very keen to know all about me" and there it was. The fire was back in her belly and she had reached her point.