You Don't Understand

Amelia could still hear the ramblings of Alfie in her head as she left his factory. It had taken her a whole hour to get through to him that his treatments must not stop under any circumstances. Although she knew he had tried to avoid the subject it was within his best interest to carry on the treatment.

As the driver pulled up at her residence in London she sighed. The house was tall, beautiful with long steps leading up to the front door but it made her feel uncomfortable. The presence she felt when living there made her feel out of place, out of touch with society. These homes where built to be shown off but all she wanted was a house to hide in.

Damage has a funny way of settling in someones bones, she thought. As a young girl Amelia would of dreamed of this house with the perfect man and possibly a child. Now, all she could see was a house that loomed over her, it's prospects empty and cold.

As she stepped out of car into the cold air she sighed with relief. This time tomorrow the house will be sold and she will finally be free of her old life here in London.

---

"Tommy, I swear to god if don't leave this office sometime in the next week people will start mistaking you for the furniture" Lizzie, for he fifth time today chided him.

Tommy was hungover and struggling to control his temper. The darkness of his office was the only thing he needed right now but Lizzie was making it impossible with her fussing. There where empty decanters, empty whiskey bottles and ash trays littered around the room which had shown Lizzie the extent of Tommy's spiral.

Even when he was stressed with business he would usually go off, into the woods to think but this time he was holing himself up away from his relief. Lizzie wasn't stupid, she knew that it had something to do with Amelia leaving for a few days. Esme had filled in her in on the little bit of information she had from John and realised he was punishing himself.

Although Lizzie detested the fact that Tommy would never see her, never care for her the way she wanted it didn't mean that she would watch him suffer. The man had suffered enough in his life.

"Lizzie don't you have some filing to do?" He mumbled as he rubbed his eye's. The sound of glasses clicking together was irritated his hangover.

"No" and she grabbed another glass.

Tommy sighed and leaned back in his chair. It was useless to argue with the woman when he knew he didn't have the capacity right now. Instead he decided to get up and leave, he would go home, change and come back when she had gone.

As he stepped out onto the street he felt the freezing air touch his face and felt an instant jolt of relief, the sleep deprivation could take a back seat for a few more hours. Just as he was about to turn he saw his brother John sprinting his way, his cap barely staying on his head.

"John?"

"Quick Tommy! Arthur needs us at the dock"

---

All three men stared down at the body below them. The death had been slow and brutal and cowardly. Tommy watched as the blood began to pool at his feet, congealing underneath his shoes and fought the urge to scream his rage into the night.

Peter Greene was dead, his throat had been slit as he was watching the docks. The death would of been slow and painful. It was done as a warning to the Peaky Blinders. The warning was received.

Tommy took a step back and turned away from the body, trying to unscramble his thoughts so he could think. This man was close to Amelia, so close that Amelia had saved his life. How would she feel knowing that her friend died because of him? Tommy put his head back and swallowed, picturing her face and imagining how she would take the news.