Amelia's Secret

Amelia had kicked off her shoes and retired into the living room with her file. As soon as she could the file was opened and paper was covering the room. It was interesting her to see her life splayed in simple format.

It had everything on her, right down to how her parents died. How much money they had put into property for her, her first placement, her medals from servicing as a nurse.

It was strange as she flicked through the file to think that Tommy had this in his possession. Amelia suddenly felt vulnerable, this file acted as an open door to her life and he had this before she even knew a small fraction about him.

Pushing away the paper she pulled up her knees to her chest and rested her head there. Taking a few deep breathes she reminded herself that this wasn't a big deal. Tommy was a cautious man who had been burned before.

It felt like hours later but it had only been minutes when she heard the door unlock. Scrambling up she tried to pull the file together but it was too late, he was already in the door way. Tommy's eyes covered with his cap.

Amelia felt panic spread across the back of her neck instantly as she subconsciously stepped away from the file.

"Where did you get that?" He asked, his voice cold and gravely.

Amelia bit her lip before answering "Your office draw"

Tommy suddenly stepped into the room and took off his cap, he didn't look mad but he wasn't really showing any emotion at all.

"I was looking for a pen" she clarified "What's this about?" And she pointed towards the mess of papers on her sofa.

Tommy looked at her, still cold with no emotion.

"I've had it since your arrival" was all he said, careful not to incriminate himself.

Amelia squinted at him, she knew he must of had the file from the start, his attitude towards her was obvious. Tommy hadn't trusted her when she first arrived and must of sought this file to make him mind up on her.

"Your could of just asked, a lot of this information isn't correct" she said as she began to pack the file up, ignoring the way he was starting at her.

Amelias heart was pounding in her chest as she internally chastised herself. There was no reason as to why she should feel bad for having took the file but she did.

The picture of her slipped out of the file as she picked it up. Quickly grabbing the small picture she turned to Tommy and slipped her hand into his jacket, finding his pocket and dropping the picture there.

"You can keep this" she smiled gently, hoping to soothe the tension in the room "but the rest goes" and she didn't wait for an answer as she tossed it into the burning fireplace.

Tommy quickly grabbed her hand, pulled her in and kissed her, his cold lips touching hers with such intensity that she nearly lost her footing. As he pulled away he pulled her to the sofa and sat her down on his lap.

Amelia felt dizzy with change in atmosphere. All she could smell was his woody scent and whiskey. It was the most soothing scent to her in the world.

"I saw your gift" he mumbled against her neck, grateful to ignore the previous conversation and to finally thank her properly.

Amelia gasped at the reminder and turned round on his lap to face him.

"Do you like them? They can be changed if you want-"

"They're perfect"

Amelia sighed with relief, grateful that he had liked her gift but more importantly that she had got it right. All she wanted was to support him, his legitimate business seemed important to him and anything she could do she would.