Way Back When

As Amelia checked over her last patient she decided that she would see if Ada was free to get a drink, the need to be in company today was great and this was one she wouldn't ignore.

"That's you all set Mr Jeffins. Make sure you keep it dry and you come see me within the next five days" and she patted Mr Jeffins arm and began to wash her hands.

"Thanks so much Miss Crostwell. Sorry for keepin' ya so late" and he offered her a sympathetic smile before he quickly left her office. After finishing up his file she added him onto the pile and sat back, stretching her legs and turning her neck to try and ease the tension she was feeling.

Just as she went to stand Jane popped her head around the door, her mouth in a tight line.

"Miss Crostwell- er, there's a gentlemen here to see you"

"Jane I've just completed my last patient-"

"He's not a patient, he say's he's your fiance..."

Amelia felt bile rise to her throat so quickly, it took everything in her to stop it. A shaky breath whooshed out and she felt her hands grip the arm rests of her chair.

"Miss Crostwell?"

Amelia snapped out of her daze and looked right at Jane "Jane, that man is not my fiance. Send him in and please go home straight away. Understood?"

Jane nodded hastily and left, not wanting to to be under Amelia's stare any longer. Amelia quickly collected herself, patted down her hair, smoothed her skirt and sat up straighter. Pretending to look over a file she waited for the knock.

"Come in" but it didn't sound as strong as she wanted.

As her door opened, the nerves began to rattle within her body and she instantly clenched her right hand to feel the nails dig into her skin. Feeling the pain she sighed with relief.

James stood in the doorway with his usual air of arrogance enveloping him. Amelia noted his slick black hair was thinning, there was more thin lines under his eye's and he had put on a touch of weight around his stomach.

"What are you doing here?" she seethed, looking him up and down.

"Well hello Amelia" he said as he stepped into the room "so nice to see you to sweetheart"

Amelia rolled her eyes as she watched him take a seat at her desk and looking around with disgust at her office.

"Is there something I can help you with?" she sat back and placed her hands on her lap, she refused to let him see that she was on edge.

James smirked and leaned forward, showing his aging face "Let's cut the shit shall we? You're ending this nonsense right now and returning to London with me. I think you've embarrassed yourself enough"

Amelia flared at the man, her eye's brimming with rage. Amelia had left James five months ago, chucking an engagement ring at him as she took her bags and made he way to Birmingham. It was very clear back then that they where over.

"Do I need to spell it out to you James? We're over" and she pointed towards the door but he didn't budge.

"You don't get to make that decision" and he stretched "We leave in an hour, go get your things-"

"No" was all she said.

Amelia saw his eye's flicker with anger "Listen-"

"No, you listen. I left you five months ago for a new life. That didn't include you and your self righteous fucking attitude. Now get out of my office!" and she was screaming, she was releasing all the anger into that tiny room without a care.