Underneath It All

Amelia had made herself comfortable in Tommy's spare room as she waited for his return. The room was small and simple. It had a bed, side table and a desk but was missing any personal touches.

Tommy kept everything so close to his chest. He would never leave anything personal around, not even in his family home. It wasn't his style.

Morning soon came and Amelia still hadn't slept. Instead she had laid on the bed, her eyes up at the ceiling and wondered what mess Tommy had got himself into now.

Avoiding Tommy's business had been easy, she had simply ignored it but now she couldn't. There had been two attempts to take her, she had been hurt both times and she would not become a weakness to him. They both had fought so hard for each other.

"The fucking IRA Tom? Are you fucking off ya head man!?" Arthur yelled from downstairs letting Amelia know that he had arrived home.

"I'll explain later Arthur okay? Where is she, is she upstairs?"

Soon Amelia heard his footsteps make their way up the stairs and stop outside of his door. Sitting up, Amelia smoothed her hair down and waited for him to enter.

As soon as he did he rushed to her side, his deep blue eyes scanning her face and sneering at the bruise across her cheek.

"I shot him" Amelia blurted out, her fear suddenly scratching at her throat. The nerves that she held in where spilling out and she grabbed at her dress to soothe herself.

Tommy leaned in-front of her and grabbed her face "You had to. You had to protect yourself" he whispered, his eyes scanning hers.

"They where going to take me again" she cried, suddenly pushing him back and standing up "because they wanted something over you! What have you done Tommy?"

Tears finally fell from her green eyes and landed on the floor in between them.

Tommy stood up and brushed himself down, determined to make this right.

"They want me to do a deal with them" he brushed his hair back in frustration "I said no. I didn't know they would come for you. You have to believe me, I didn't fucking know" and he stuck his finger out at her.

Tommy began to pace the small room, his coat flapping behind him.

"They where men from here Tommy. They had a Birmingham accent" she said.

"Don't worry we're dealing with the other one"

"You'll start a war!" And she grabbed his arm to stop him, this time she grabbed his chin so he would look at her. "We can know longer keep me in the dark Tommy. I have to be in the loop. If not I think one of us will end up dead"

Tommy winced, the thought of dragging her into the part of his life that involved violence and death rattled his core.

"I can't do that Amelia"

"You don't have a choice" she hissed back "If you don't let me in Tommy then there is no point in me becoming your wife. I won't die at the hands of our stupidity"

The threat of Amelia taking off her ring and calling it a day on their relationship planted Tommy to the floor. The thought of Amelia leaving his life was unbearable.

"If you know about this part of my life you may not walk down that isle"

"I know you Tommy. You just have to trust me okay?" And she leaned into him, pressing her head against his chest.

——

3 months later.

Amelia stood in front of a long mirror and admired her reflection. The beautiful lace sat perfectly on her skin, hugged every curve and the train sat ready to go.