A dull ache

Amelia was in pain but refused to get out of bed to deal with it. Instead she lay on her back, eye's scrunched close and trying not to cry.  The frustration and embarrassment she felt was incredible. A small groan escaped her lips followed by a hiss. The bruises on her jaw where going to be a problem for the next few days.

Having already called in sick she decided to stay at home to try and heal as quickly as she could. Treating patients with a split lip and a bruised face wasn't exactly a confidence boost. However she didn't want to face the outside world especially Thomas Shelby who she had thrown a large drink in his face. The most vicious man to walk this planet. 

So why had she done it? Well, it had something to do with her not wanting to be controlled, not wanting to have someone take away what she had been striving for her whole life. Freedom. The chance at a life she wanted.

Pushing away her blanket she sat up and refused to acknowledge the pain in her face. There was no need to sit in bed and dwell on this anymore. This wasn't important to her or so she told herself over and over.

--

A loud knock on her front door made her jump, sitting quietly for a second she heard a familiar sound.

"Amelia open the door" Ada called before banging again.

Amelia rolled her eyes and slowly began thinking of ways to put her friend off "Now's not a good time Ada" she called back through gritted teeth, the pain springing back to her face.

"Come on, we just want to talk and check that you're okay!"

"We?" and she stopped dead in her tracks, could it be-

"Yeah me and Pol. Come on, let us in. I'm freezing my arse off out here" Amelia then rushed over to snap open her front door.

Pol smirked at her and pushed passed, not bothering to wait for an invitation. Ada shrugged her shoulders and followed. 

Amelia followed them both into the small kitchen area that had recently been decorated and they both began to fuss around, making a pot of tea.  Amelia took a seat at her table trying not to suppress the urge to play host. In all honesty she couldn't care less at this moment.

"Well love you look like hell" Polly said, lifted Amelia's chin up and assessing the damage. Amelia softly pulled away from Polly's cold hands and looked over at Ada who was trying to not look so guilty.

"It feels like hell" Amelia grumbled, taking the cup of tea Ada was passing to her.

"Well I must say you have a set of balls on you" Polly laughed, sitting down next to her. "Dashing Thomas Shelby with a drink was not something I thought I would ever see"

Amelia closed her eyes then, trying to swallow the embarrassment of her public blackout. However when she closed her eye's all she could see was the liquid running down his skin, dripping from his strong jaw. It was those eyes that had started to haunt her, the ones that said she was a inch away from being cut.

"I still don't understand- er, what happened?" Ada asked, blinking her large doe eyes at both of them.

"Your brother sent one of his monkeys after me and Jack" she slammed her cup down "warned Jack to stay away from me" Pointing at her face "and I tried to help but was met with a back hand"

Ada raised an eyebrow and turned to Polly. "That doesn't sound like Tommy"

"It doesn't" Polly agreed

"Tommy wouldn't- I mean he wouldn't do something like that. And for what?" Ada sat back with a puzzled look on her face.

Polly leaned forward, placing her cup on the table and looking at Amelia "I'm not sticking up for the man but that doesn't sound like Tommy"