The whole damn time

Amelia had woken up in the early hours in Ada's room fully clothed with the worlds largest headache. Quickly finding her shoes and coat she tip toed out of the room and made her way down the stairs. If she could just make it out of the house and back home she may just save herself from dying of more embarrassment. 

Getting drunk and ended up in someone else's house was not like her, it wasn't the way she was bought up. Amelia cringed as the last step creaked.

"Good morning Miss Crostwell" she heard from behind her, she spun quickly and had to control the urge to throw up. Last nights alcohol torturing her with every sudden move. Thomas Shelby was sat at the kitchen table, his face half covered by darkness. Amelia thought about ignoring him and putting her shoes on to leave but she knew it wouldn't be happening as quickly as she liked.

"Shelby" she greeted back, slowly bending down to slip on her heels. The pressure in her skull was immense now and she silently cursed Ada. 

Out the corner of her eye she could see Thomas smoking and staring down at her with what looked to be disgust. 

"Hungover?" he asked

"No" she lied too quickly.

"Here was me thinking a lady of your class wouldn't be seen legless in public" he muttered, suddenly sitting up and waiting for her reaction 

Amelia closed her eyes to calm herself down. Now was not the time to be irked by him, she was pretty certain that if her blood began to pump angrily around her body she would end up throwing up right there.

Slipping on her coat she refused to look at him and decided on turning her back to him as she did up the buttons. Thomas Shelby hated her she concluded, he was always trying to insinuate that her class was a false pretense or that she was weak. Maybe she was. Maybe it was her current vulnerability that he was picking at like a vulture in hopes to see her crumble. Men like him liked to watch the world burn.

Reaching for the door she stumbled, her feet forgetting their supposed to work together. A shallow laugh came from behind her and she felt her cheeks go hot.

The urge to have the last word was strong as she began to open the door but she chose not to. It was time she refused him access to her feelings. As she stepped out into the cold drizzle she felt relief wash over her, she closed the door and began to make her way home.

---

Amelia began to feel much better after a few days and promised herself not to drink that much again. It had made her life miserable as she lay in her bed wishing for the pounding to disappear When Monday rolled around she was back to normal and happy to be headache free. That was until she entered work to find the place brimming with patients.

"Jane, what's going on?" Amelia looked around curiously to see the room full of men with various small injuries.

"A fire at one of the factories!" she called over her desk "I've put a cup of tea on your desk because you won't be leaving that room in a while" she laughed as she stood up and placed a stack of folders into her arms.

Jane did not lie. The amount of small burns and cuts Amelia treated seemed to drag on forever. The men who sat in her office had no idea what had caused the fire apparently but Amelia knew that they where lying. Men had a very obvious tell when they lied and she was pretty sure they had been told not to talk.

Amelia was finishing up with her last patient when a small boy entered her office.

"Excuse me young man but this room is occupied" she chided as she placed a bandage over her patients wrist.